o

IVONA hated her life in Split.

Once upon a time, she had adored the glittering coast line and its liveliness. There was nothing better than golden sand between her toes, her mother's gentle reprimands, and the poor excuse for stew that they barely managed to put together for dinner.

Her life, however, had taken a turn for the worst when her mother - the beauty of their area - had caught the eye of an old, filthy rich merchant.

Ivona's mother had known of his four previous wives, of his greedy ways, of his corruption. But all she chosen to see was the new, shiny life that she could shape for her young daughter and herself.

Of course, things didn't work out like that.

Within two years, Ivona's mother was dead. Three months later, a new wife had taken her place.

Countless times the young girl had been told that she should be grateful that her step-father kept her around, provided her with food and house just as he did his own, cruel children. But all Ivona wanted was her mother. If they gave her mother back, then she would be grateful.

Regardless of her misfortune, however, it was still her life. Her disaster.

And the for the price of taking it from her, Ivona would take everything the Sultan had to give.

The Ottoman dynasty would be hers and her blood's and this time, nobody would be able to take it from her.