xxi. a mouse for a rat

{if anyone was wondering, we around the middle of Episode 9 at the moment}

Istanbul, Turkey

A multitude of new girls had come to join the Harem.

Kelebek paid them little notice, uncaring for looking for new enemies when she did not yet know the face of her current one. The Sultanas, Kelebek knew, would no doubt already be seeing to making the girls feel unwelcomed.

Instead, she spent her time in her chambers with little Zeynep at her side, simultaneously shaking her daughter's jewelled rattle - a gift from the Valide - while scanning the names on the document.

Mahidevran Sultan

Gülfem Sultan

Agelaeia Hatun, one of Kata's creatures.

Kelebek frowned, prepared to dismiss the idea that it had been Gülfem, either on her own behalf or for Sultana Hatice, even if she had briefly considered the possibilities of the latter. From what she had seen of both women, they were kind and the latter was far more bothered with Ibrahim Pasha that poisoning concubines.

None had been aligned with Hürrem, so Kelebek decided to rule her out. Not only that, but from what she had seen Hürrem only acted in reaction to the people around her, Kelebel was yet to see her act unprovoked.

Lips pulled thin, Kelebek sat up, Zeynep babbling in protest as she did. The blonde lay a soothing hand on her daughter's stomach.

"Get me some food please, Banu," she said. "And Sevil, could you grab that blue book over there?"

The two obeyed, Banu leaving the room and Sevil handing her the book. From it, Kelebek opened up her locked box and tipped the contents out onto the bed - away from Zeynep's reach.

Then, she got up from the bed, placing the open box on its side on the ground then transferring her other belongings to various drawers.

Sevil watched her quizzically. Eventually, the blonde turned, offering her friend a grin. "It's time to catch a rat."

~•~•~•~•~•~

Kelebek and Zeynep headed to the Sultan's chambers that night, just as he had invited them to.

The Sultan was kind in a way that Kelebek had not expected, preparing miniature parcels of food for Zeynep to try and a small pearl ring for Kelebek.

"To remember our lost child by," he had said with a soft smile, and Kelebek would never admit it but her heart had clenched slightly.

It was a kindness she would not easily forget.

In the morning, Kelebek returned to her chambers, more than pleased to see several dead mice laying by her turned over box with crumbs from the food Banu had brought her scattered all around.

The contents of the vial still resided in her box, and the temptation of crumbs of cheese had proven too much for the poor mice.

"Tonight," Kelebek announced, collecting the small rodents in tissues, "these two will be placed beneath the pillows of Gülşah Hatun and Kata Hatun with a note telling them we know what they did. With any luck, the guilty one will be evident in the morning."