CH. 7 Decisions and Responsibility

Start from the beginning

More of a reason to get out of here...

"That's okay; at the end of the day, you're not the only one who can hold a grudge." We glared at each other. He knew what I was talking about. We didn't need to exchange further words to know I blamed him for my mother's death. His glare burned into my soul, but I lifted my chin, knowing I was right. "If you hadn't been off kissing some Lord's ass, you would have been there to protect her."

"I wish you were never born."

I almost flinched at his words; I knew my facial expression had faltered. I blinked away the tears stinging my eyes; I grabbed the leather bag and tiara and hurried out of the tent. I decided to bathe when I arrived at the palace; staying here wasn't worth it. Making my way through camp, I scanned around until I spotted Hercules' black coat among the other horses. I mounted and set off at a run towards the city.

Sticks and stones Fitzgilbert, sticks and stones.

It was a half-hour ride to the palace, and the sun was beginning to descend towards the west when the guards opened the gates for me. I trotted into the courtyard and saw Lady Nilsen, Rose, playing with the dogs as the men on the wall looked on in amusement.

I didn't expect her to be here. I dismounted quickly, and she ran over to me. I let her hug me. She searched my eyes for a moment.

"Are you alright?" I nodded.

"Just tired; I have some important things to take care of." She gave me a curious expression and shook her head.

"There's something more you're not telling me." I laughed.

"I don't know what to tell you, Rose." I turned towards the stairs leading into the castle.

"I am just a woman, m'lord, but I believe women's intuition is almost always correct." I stopped and turned around. I had to admit she wasn't stupid.

"It's nothing you should be concerned about, m'lady. This is my battle to face." She followed me up the stairs.

"Is it about my father? Sometimes, he can go overboard, but I assure you he means well." I shook my head.

"Your father is the least of my worries." We were walking inside now.

"Are you sure?" I nodded. She smiled then and looked at the floor. "I was worried." I gulped; it wouldn't be wise to lead her on any longer.

"Rose, I—"

"Fitzgilbert!" Nilsen came striding through the hall, and I tensed. It's better to shut my mouth now. Rose raised herself on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek.

"Good luck," she whispered.

So, we're doing this now, then? Okay. I met Lord Nilsen in the middle and clasped hands with him. He gestured with his hand to go further into the castle, and we walked along the rows of armor.

"So, I hear you've been sporting with my daughter."

Sporting? Who still used that word?

"I've enjoyed talking with your daughter. She is a brilliant woman and a good friend." Leaving it there would give him the idea.

"Do you kiss your friends often, Kelvin?" He had me there; to be fair, Rose initiated most of the kissing, but that wouldn't matter to him. I stopped and faced him.

"I don't think it's wise to marry her m'lord." He narrowed his eyes.

"Why not?" His nostrils flared.