CH. 7 Decisions and Responsibility

Kelvin

I was running around the track at the army headquarters, which was located on the outskirts of the City of Imperia. My heart raced as I made my way around the corner. It was my last lap, and I was determined to finish it strong. I turned the other corner, and after what seemed like 100 more strides, I crossed the marker. I fell and rolled onto the grass, panting; a second later, Peter, an officer, stood over me.

"Are you alright, m'lord?" I laughed and nodded. He held his hand, and I took it; we made our way to the tents. "Your father asked to speak with you after you finished." I nodded and went ahead of him into my father's tent. I entered inside and saw him alone, sitting at a table, looking over what looked like some plans. He looked up at me and then gestured for me to sit down.

"I have some important matters to discuss with you." I wiped the sweat off of my forehead and leaned forward. "The princess asked Luca to act as regent until she is ready to take her place on the throne."

"That's good news, I hope." I had thought Luca would have a distant cousin take her place.

I'll have to talk to both of them later. I rubbed my neck.

"That isn't what I called you in here for though..." He pulled out a leather bag and set it on the table, then pulled out the crown I had stolen a couple of weeks ago. I looked away. "When were you going to tell me about this?" I bit my lip; were there any good excuses I could devise this time?

"Uh, well..." I was very horrible at this. He looked pissed, and I knew I was in for it.

"This should have been brought to me. I have a right mind to toss you in the dungeon or stick you in the stocks!" I gritted my teeth.

"I was going to give it to you, I promise! With the princess returning and all, I never got around to it."

"Sure... Do you want to hear the best part?" I cocked a brow; sarcasm dripped from his words. "Lord Nilsen wants to talk to you about Rose."

"What about her?" He stood up then.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about!" I looked away; I'd fooled around with Rose several times but never got serious. It was time to face the music for it, though.

"It would be good if you married her; it would help clear your name. It would also preserve the house."

"Always about reputation and family name..."

"Yes, the Fitzgilbert name has to be preserved!" I stood up and shook my head.

"I'm gonna go shower," I said, shaking my head, and He scoffed.

"And there it is! Ladies and Gentlemen, Kelvin Fitzgilbert once again runs away from responsibility!" I whipped my head around to face him, angry now.

"See, treatment like this made me run away from home in the first place!"

"Another example that proves my point." He heaved a sigh. "Return the crown to the princess immediately, and I'll forget you didn't hand it over to the proper authorities."

"So, my title means nothing then. Are you still going to treat me like a thief?"

"Only when you act like one." I huffed through my nose.

"I was going to give it to you at the proper time; too much was happening! You're never going to trust me, are you." He stared at the ground, and I knew when he didn't look me in the eyes.