9"

Camilla was god awful at potions

Absolutely horrendous.

She had no clue how she had managed to get a good enough grade in her OWLs to progress onto advanced potions. It wasn't particularly that she didn't enjoy it, she was just purely dreadful at it. Camilla did suspect that Professor Slughorn may have tampered with her grade in order to qualify for NEWT potions. He was awfully chummy with her father, Gavin, whom he had also taught may years ago. Camilla found it terribly amusing.

Who would have thought her fathers natural proclivity to potions all those years ago meant that it would saving her arse now?

Camilla was also well aware that another part of it all, was that her family is part of the scared twenty eight, as a Prewett. Professor Slughorn seemed to care somewhat about all that stuff. But his particular favourite student, was muggleborn Lily Evans, who also seemed to have a natural talent for potions. Then again, lily was good at every subject.

All things considered, Camilla liked to believe it was her natural charm and charisma in which kindled Professor Slughorn's fondness towards her.

"welcome, welcome" Professor Slughorn said merrily as the students filtered in through the doors and took a seat. It seemed this year they would be taking Potions with the Slytherins again.

Her and Lily took their seat on the table at the front while Mary and Alice took a seat behind them. Marlene hadn't decided to take Potions that year, claiming it was 'a waste of her time'.

James, Sirius and Remus had entered and took their seats towards the back, as per usual.

"It seems Peter didn't make it this year" Lily said sadly, leaning over to whisper to Camilla who frowned in response.

The pair of them stopped muttering to each other as Severus Snape passed them to go to his seat. He looked at Lily longingly and Camilla felt a little bit of sick almost come up.

"Ignore him Lily" she said, placing a comforting hand to her arm

Lily nodded and seemed to shake it off and pull her textbook out of her bag.

Camilla closed her eyes in dismay as she watched the Slytherin Quidditch captain Steve Laughalot walk over and take a seat beside her. Neither of them were particularly happy about this arrangement but it seemed the rest of the desks at already been filled.

She kept her head forwards and her eyes to the front of the class room as everyone settled down.

"Oi Prewett" he hissed from over his desk

Camilla looked over to his expectantly, "What is it Laughalot?" she asked plainly

"Got a spare quill I can borrow?"

Camilla rolled her eyes and opened her bag, rummaging around inside. She finally pulled one out and dropped it on his desk.

He didn't say thank you but merely kept peering over at her as Professor Slughorn started to explain the main objectives of the class for that day.