16

*Trigger Warning: Explicit Language used*

~~~

A few weeks have passed since Pyro hatched, and it has been joyous enough for me to find isolation not as bad as I thought it would be.

Almost everyone was always here, more often than usual. Adrian did his best to train all of us at the mansion, so I wouldn't feel as left out as I was. Even when we were all on top of each other. 

Pyro has grown, albeit barely. He continues to practise flying each day. He can glide and land as easily as anything, but when it comes to ascending, he can't quite seem to understand how to flap his wings to make him go higher.

We still heard no word from the council, they knew of Pyro's existence, of my rank. Adrian and Mei warned me not to worry, but I had heard enough from Willow to know that her grandfather was. They were biding their time.  Preparing themselves for after I completed the surge. I had to be ready for then. We were still waiting for the occurrence, and I was starting to get fidgety just waiting for it. I wanted it to be over, I wanted to be one with my flame. We were ready. We had to be ready. 

I'd been up since dawn and had seen the boys off for their training. They were going to practise flight formations and attack protocols over by the Alkia Lake. Kessa was staying with me today because she had woken up a few days ago with an awful cold and had been sneezing and coughing non-stop. Mei was teaching in the academy so I was alone with a very ill Rider.

"Kessa," I whisper, shaking her carefully.

She was wrapped in her duvet, only the top of her knotted hair poking out. I carefully poke her shoulder, careful not to get too close. I didn't want her germs but I did need her. She moans, shifting in the bed and sheathing her covers. Her whole face was distorted, barely opening her eyes to look at me. "I have to go to the academy today." She shakes her head, groaning as she does. "Pyro is due to see Nadine and Freida."

She straightens then, sitting up and blowing her nose. "I'll get ready." She muffles, sniffing as she goes to stand. Her legs shake and she ends up collapsing.

"Okay, no. You can barely walk... I'll just go by myself." I hold her up right so she doesn't collapse. I peel her blankets back and let her drop into the mattress before covering her.

"You can't," She shivers, her teeth chattering.

"I'll be in and out."

"Wait for the boys!" She complains.

"They'll be gone all day." I argue.

I needed to get out of here again. I had only seen Nadine and Freida once. I had stepped into the academy with everyone guarding me like I was the Queen herself. No student lingered too near, partly because Sky threatened them with his Dragon fire if they tried anything. 

I knew how to stay invisible. I wasn't some child that needed to be coddled. Pyro would be with me and I would protect him. Nothing else mattered.

"Fine," She hisses, coughing. "If your not back in half an hour, I'm coming after you."

I roll my eyes. "Yes, mum. Make sure not to fall asleep." I tap her knee, knowing I'd find her snoozing as soon as we got back.

She groans after me as I leave her room and head outside for Pyro. I started leaving him outside a few days ago, he's been interacting with the other Dragons and he quite enjoys it.

Today, he's been playing with Tulsa. Even though her Rider is ill, Tulsa definitely wasn't. She had been sleeping and toying with Pyro all morning, quite content with herself and the little hatchling. Plus she kept him out of trouble and occupied.