13

*Trigger Warning: Explicit Language used*

~~~

I knew what it felt like to stand alone. To feel unwanted, untouched, unloved. I was alone for a long time before Ivan found me. I have no knowledge of my families death or how I ended up in the woods, but I knew. I will always know.

Ivan taught me to be confident on my own, alone still but in stride. With a strength I could never imagine I had in me. An emotionless wall that started to crumble when I arrived in Palin, at this academy. To the people who embraced me and forced their way beside me, to the Riders and their flames who see me as their own. That was new. That was emotion. I was no longer alone. And on this day, that fate will be forever sealed. Because the ceremony was today. Today, I was finding my egg, my flame.

The girl staring back at me was a new one, shaped iridescently. There was a light to my eyes, that had never been there before. Thankfully, for the ceremony, I didn't have to wear Kessa's baggy Rider's suit. Instead, I was wearing something from home. Some leather trousers I had made, with a woman's corset top I had bought from the market in Falor. It was the only pretty thing I had allowed myself to buy. I had never worn it. The seller told me it matched my eyes, and it did. The fabric was a bronze colour with swirls of gold. The long sleeves were partially off the shoulder, and the tight corset material was tightened at my back, which thankfully I did myself. Mei told me to dress comfortably, but dressy.

I hope this will do.

Even with my tacky hunting boots. I had let my curls hang around my mid back, tucking the short layers that frame my heart shaped face behind my ears. My caramel skin was dry but surprisingly glowing. I had slept soundly last night, with no traces of that silver shadow. It was the first time since I had arrived in Palin. I didn't know how to feel about that either.

A knock from my bedroom door had me turning to find Nikos. My breathe stuttered as I took him in. He wore smart black trousers with a loose white button up shirt, his brown waves were swept backwards, his bright eyes lighter than I had ever seen them before. The corners of his mouth twitch upwards as he takes me in, the dimples appearing.

"You look nice." He says smoothly.

Nice. "Thank you," I gulp, averting my gaze. "I don't own any nice clothes."

He chuckles. "That'll change soon." I didn't know what that meant either. "Adrian and Mei have arrived." I shudder a shaky breath. So, it was time.

"Okay," I whisper to myself, striding past him as he moves to the side, allowing me to pass. He follows silently behind me as I descend the stairs, only to find them gathered in the lounge room.

Mei looked breath-taking in a floor length midnight blue gown, the fabric stuck to her body. It was high collared, rather plain but admissible, not to her at least. I now always know that if Mei was not wearing something blue, then something was seriously wrong.

Adrian stood beside her in an attire much like Nikos, only he wore a leather jacket over his shirt. Sky and Maddox looked the same, but Sky wore a black collared shirt with Maddox donning a grey shirt with a loose black tie hanging around his neck. Even Kessa looked lovely in a silky white jumpsuit, her shoulder length blonde waves left down, framing her sharp face.

"You look lovely Sith," Mei muses, smiling gently.

"Thank you," My cheeks flush. "This was the only nice thing I had, if it's not good enough—"

A hand gently placed on my shoulder behind me had me spinning round to look up at Nikos' angelic smile." It's enough." He offers gently. My cheeks only blush more red.