10

*Trigger Warning: Explicit Language used*

~~~

"Remind me why I am doing this?" I ponder, my mind blank as the wind picks up around me.

The Dragon's were sprawled on the grass ahead, waiting for us. The others were stood beside me, a picture of glory next to my little self.

Today was a new day, and just as Mei had advised, today was the perfect day for flying. The wind was heavy, the clouds a vast mist above us, Maddox and Kessa were squirming in their feet. The rush of their affinity, coming to light.

"It's good for the soul!" Maddox howls, dashing to Flick with lightning speed.

"A new perspective, remember?" Mei crawls up beside Adrian, dressed in one of her signature blue gowns, her auburn hair tied back with a ribbon. She handed her husband a warm cloak, even when he resisted.

Everyone was in riding leathers, used to seeing them all in their required uniforms, only this time, I was in one too. The leather was practically a second skin, mine was partially baggy, my own uniform would not be made until after me and my flame had conquered the surge. So today, I was in one of Kessa's. Considering Kessa's lanky frame, and my lack of height, parts of the suit was falling.

"And it's the best thing ever." She whispers to me as she saunters past, casually throwing me a wink and gesturing to our matching suits. I roll my eyes in response. Kessa chose brown, like Nikos and Adrian. But Sky and Maddox looked killer in black. It was expected for us to choose between brown or black, or even both when in training at the academy. After we graduated we could have any design we wanted. I was told that most Riders chose the colour of their Dragon's scales. For camouflage. Some even opted for patterned suits with symbols. I couldn't even think about what design I would choose.

"Sith, you'll fly with Nikos." Adrian says after bidding a due to Mei. He reluctantly held the cloak she gave him in his hand. He headed for his flame, and stashed the cloak in his saddle bag.

"What!" Maddox gasps after hearing Adrian.

"Why can't she ride with one of us?!" Kessa sulks with him.

"I only trust the Alexia's to keep Sith alive in these circumstances. Your both not ready to carry someone else." Adrian comments with a firm shake of his head.

Kessa and Maddox appear flabbergasted in his wake. "Not ready?!" Maddox exclaims, "I can carry Sith and you know it!" He calls after his instructor before they both dispatch to mount their flames.

Nikos throws me an amused smile before approaching Roan. Astra and Sky were grazing leisurely next to him, both waiting for the go ahead. "Hello again," I croon to Roan as he drops his giant head to reach my level.

"Alright, listen up!" Adrian calls atop Cobalt, they both turn to face us. With Kessa atop Tulsa, and Maddox on Flick, their flames strolled to stand beside us and Sky. "We'll make our way over the Cressian forest, to the Alkia Lake and back. I do not want us close to Avalon's border, especially after what occurred last time we ventured that far." He throws Kessa a pointed look.

I open my mouth to ask, until Nikos beats me to it. "Kessa and Tulsa took a nasty landing close to the border, the Avalonian guards were not impressed with the intrusion." He explains quietly to me.

"Avalonian's?"

"Lycans." He whispers.

I blink, "Didn't you tell me that Lycans can be Riders? Why wouldn't they let us past the border?"