chapter eighteen

Saturday 23rd June
05:49pm at Thornton Mansion

Evelyn had been texting Rafe a lot the last few days, not just concerning the color of her dress. He had sent her good morning- and good night texts, and asked her questions about college, soccer and her friends back in New York. For some odd reason, Evelyn had told him the truth about how things were back home. She had spared him for the most dramatic details, but only because it was things she don't really want to put in writing.

Evelyn was wearing a light blue, satin slip dress, white heels and silver jewellery. Her hair slightly curled, and Rafe had told her to keep it down for reasons he could not say over text. He sounded very excited about it all, which made Evelyn excited too.

She was touching up her makeup in the downstairs bathroom when she heard a knock on the door. Evelyn was all alone at the house, since Lily was getting ready with her friends and Topper and Ben had left to pick up their dates.

Ben had apparently got himself a date after he heard that Rafe and Evelyn were going together. Topper said that he had reacted to the news by laughing and said he felt bad for Rafe since he was being used as a distraction. He always was a overly confident narcissist.

Evelyn rushed over to the door, she could see Rafe's car though the window. She opened the door and a wave of nervousness and excitement brushed over her when she saw him.

He was wearing a light blue linen suit with a black leather belt and dark blue bow tie. He was matching her. In his hand he held a flower wreath made out of beautiful blue roses and hydrangeas. In the pocket of his suit jacket was a tiny bouquet of of the same flowers. Matching hers.

"Wow-" Rafe gasped. "You look beautiful."

Evelyn chuckled a little and then she did a little spin in her high heels, making the skirt of her dress slightly lift up. "Is that for me?" She asked and looked at the crown of flowers Rafe was holding.

He nodded quickly and put the wreath in both his hands as he reached forward to put it down carefully on her head. Rafe slightly adjusted it before taking a step back, admiring her all dressed up.

"How'd I get so lucky?" He smiled and put out his hand for Evelyn to place hers in. She hesitated for a moment, remembering how addicting his touch felt, even if it was just the touch of a fingertip.

"I was desperate." Evelyn mocked and grabbed his hand. It was warm, but not sweaty. Rafe rubbed his thumb back and forth on her hand as they walked to the car. He opened the door for her and didn't let go of her hand before she was seated in the leather car seat.

They arrived at the country club a few minutes later. Rafe rushed to open Evelyn's door for her and escorted her inside like a true gentleman.

"Let me get you a drink." Rafe said when they stepped into the very decorated party venue. Evelyn tightened her grip around his hand to stop him from walking away. She pulled him closer to her and leaned in towards his ear.

"You don't have to hang out with me all night, go have fun." She whispered.

Rafe backed away and frowned at her. "You say that like hanging out with you is a burden to me." He responded with a nervous chuckle.

"Look, I really appreciate you doing this. I'm just saying-"

"You really think I'm gonna abandon you for the boys on our first real date?" Rafe cut Evelyn off.

"Real date?" Evelyn frowned and she watched Rafe's expression turn hard.

"Were you really just desperate?" He asked with a low voice.

Evelyn hesitated before shaking her head and reaching to grab Rafe's other hand. "I didn't think you wanted it to be a real date." She stuttered.

Rafe's smirk reappeared on his face. "Oh, it is. Wait here." He said and disappeared into the bar to get drinks. Evelyn looked around her to see if Sarah and Kiara was there yet, when she suddenly felt a cold hand on her shoulder. She quickly turned around, pulse going through the roof, behind her stood Ward Cameron. He was smiling at her, not a warm smile but a smile you could feel bad intensions behind.

"You must be Evelyn, I'm Ward." He said and reached out his hand. Evelyn shook his hand and smiled.

"Rafe and Sarah's father, nice to meet you." She responded.

"So, you're here with Rafe tonight." He continued as he eyed her up and down.

"I am, he's such a gentleman." Evelyn said.

"Oh, he is? Well, I'm glad he's good for something." Ward chuckled. Evelyn tilted her head and frowned at the well dressed man beside her.

"Your son is great." She continued, feeling an urge to protect Rafe's name.

"I'm glad you think that. Have a nice night."

Before Evelyn could respond, Ward had walked away. Evelyn was left with a bad sensation in her stomach. She wondered what made Ward so openly disappointed with his son. She didn't have time to think about for long. before Rafe was back with her drink.

"Here you go, Ev." He said as he elegantly handed her the glass of champagne. She smiled widely towards him and took a sip.

"I talked to your dad." Evelyn said. Rafe clenched his jaw, but he didn't have time to answer before having to step in front of Evelyn, resting his right hand on her hip to keep her behind him.

Ben and his date had approached the two of them. Ironically, he had brought Millie to the party, she looked so proud by his side. Evelyn remembered when she felt like that next to Benjamin and she also remembered the moment she didn't feel any proud no more.

"Ben."

"Rafe."

The tension between the two boys were intense. Evelyn could see that Millie felt it too.

"How are you enjoying the evening so far?" Rafe asked and plastered a fake smile across his face.

"We are enjoying ourselves very much. And it only gets better from here." Benjamin responded. He knew etiquette just as well as Rafe did. Evelyn had been his date to a number of  galas and events. "Evelyn, do you have a moment to spare? I have something I would love to discuss with you." Ben continued and locked eyes with Rafe who was tightening his fists. "In private." He smirked seeing Rafe becoming rather upset by his request.

"That will never fucking happen, bro." Rafe snapped, trying to keep his voice down.

"Woah!" Benjamin exclaimed. He didn't seem interested in keeping the conversation between them. "I thought we were good, man. Even after you tried to beat me up the first time we met and here you are at a party with my girl on your arm."

"I'm not yo-" Evelyn snapped before Rafe made her quiet by grabbing her hand and giving her a look that said "I'll deal with him"

"You really don't wanna go there, man." Rafe sighed and adjusted his gold ring.

"Let's be civil tonight, huh?" Ben suggest and threw out his arms. Evelyn didn't want to look around her, she could feel all the eyes were on them. She kept her eyes glued to Rafe's back and her hand tightened around his to signalise that she wanted to get out of there.