chapter eleven

thursday June 15th
11:02 pm at the country club

It was the last night before Topper and Lily returned home. Evelyn and Sarah had brought Kiara with them for a night out at the bar.

Sarah and John B had broken up earlier that day and she wanted to get her mind off things. Evelyn was up for that.

She had been avoiding Rafe for the last few days. Sarah had told her he had been asking about her.

Ev had been hanging out with Sarah and Kiara all week to distract herself, and she had started to become good friends with them both. They were less stuck-up than her NY-friends and she really felt like she could let her hair down with them.

Tonight, at the bar they were all wearing matching sequin mini-skirts and backless t-shirts. Sarah wore a white one, Kie's were blue and Evelyn's were pink.

It was almost midnight when she saw him walking in. She was leaning over the bar, Kiara and Sarah had gone to get some fresh air.

The bar was dark, but she could recognize his tall, athletic figure anywhere. It was like everyone else disappeared and the world moved in slow motion as he approached her.

Rafe was wearing a black skirt and his hair was in his usual, greasy middle part. The cut on his forehead had begun to heal and the bruise had almost faded.

The moment her eyes met his, she realized she wouldn't be able to control herself if he tried anything. He looked to damn good.
But he won't tru anything, he's with another girl.

Rafe held the eye contact as he made his way over to the bar, where she was standing. He had a serious look on his face, like he didn't want to give away how he felt about seeing her.

"Hiding from me now are we, New York?" He asked still wearing that same poker face. Evelyn cleared her throat.

"I would never." She said teasingly, desperate to hide her nervousness. Rafe took a step back and looked her up and down a couple of times.

"Gorgeous, as always."  He said and went back to leaning over the bar, only this time a little closer to her.
Evelyn blushed and smiled at the worryingly calm boy in front of her. She looked towards the front door, hoping Kiara and Sarah would be back to save her.

"Waiting for someone?" Rafe asked when he noticed her longing stares towards the door.

"Are you here alone?" Evelyn asked quickly pulling his focus away from the door and back to her.

"I was actually hoping I could talk to you." He said in a lowered voice. Evelyn's heart skipped a beat.

"We're talking now." she replied. Her answer came out sounding meaner than she intended.

"I mean, somewhere just us, alone" Rafe's confident demeanor had faded. He was tripping over his words and lowering his voice more than usual.

"About what?" Evelyn asked and bit her lower lip. He quickly looked away like he was trying to pull himself together.

"Can't you just-" Rafe grabbed Evelyn's wrist and dragged her behind him through the crowd. Everyone watched as they disappeared into a long, dark hallway.

They got to the very end of the hallway before Rafe let go of his grip around her wrist.

"You really enjoy doing that, don't you?" Evelyn asked, slightly annoyed by his dominant behavior. Rafe rolled his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair. "Fine, Rafe!  We're here, what was so important?"

"Shut up, okay? I'm fucking thinking!" He yelled turning away from her. Evelyn was leaning against the wall with her arms crossed.  She scoffed at his sudden angry outburst.

"At my party-" He turned back towards her. "in my room-" waving his hands around, he continued: "why'd you do that?"

"Uhm I-" Evelyn stuttered while shaking her head. "I just- I was just messing with you."

"Honestly, was that the whole reason?" He asked, once again turning away from her.

"What do you want me to say, Rafe?"

"And the other night, I grabbed your hip-" Rafe reached out his arm to lean against the wall. "You didn't pull away, why?" He continued.

"I- Why does it matter to you?" Evelyn was the one yelling now. "You're with someone else! Why do you care?"

Rafe turned his head around to look at her. His face was filled with confusion.
"Who the fuck told you that?"

"She did." Evelyn replied.

"Millie did?" Rafe asked and pulled up his shirt sleeves, revealing his veiny, toned forearms. "And you believe that shit?" He continued.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Why the fuck would you?" He replied, somehow sounding even more mad now. Evelyn couldn't be scared of him. Instead she took a few steps closer. He was still turned away from her.

"She told me you went to her house after you and I were together." Evelyn explained, annoyed at his condescending attitude. "The fact that you knew who I was fucking talking about says it all, Rafe!"

"I'm not with fucking Millie, okay?"

"Fine, whatever." Evelyn mumbled, looking down at her shoes.

Rafe turned towards her, he was clenching his jaw and glared at her. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Then he took a step closer to her before quickly turning his back again.

"Ahh- Fuck it!" he said and came rushing towards her.

Grabbing her face between his hands, he pushed her up against the wall and took on last look into her eyes before colliding his lips with hers.

Evelyn's hands wrapped around his waist as she leaned into his kiss. Rafe's lips were soft and wet. Running his hands through her hair, he let out a moan as he slipped his tongue into her mouth. Evelyn arched her back, pressing her warm body against his.

Her arms were now around his neck, whilst he was tracing the outline of her hips and waist with his hands. Their lips fit together like a glove.

They both gasped for air when pulling away for the first time.

Kissing Evelyn made him feel like he had never kissed another girl in his whole life. Her lips were like soft pillows and her touch still lingered on his skin after she pulled away. Kissing her felt right.

"Rafe I-" Evelyn said. Rafe stumbled backward from the sound of her smooth voice. His heart was racing in his chest.

"I- I'll see you around, Ev." He said and rushed down the hallway, towards the front door of the bar.

Evelyn stood there, frozen. She wiped the outside of her mouth with the back of her hand. Her hand turned red from the lipstick that was rubbed around her mouth.

Rafe Cameron was walking around somewhere wearing the rest of her lipstick.