chapter seventeen

Wednesday 21th June
02:56pm at the country club

"Have you chosen a dress for midsummers, Kie?" Sarah asked and took a zip of her fruity drink. Evelyn, Kiara and Sarah was enjoying the sunny day at the country club.

"My mom bought something for me, I think." Kiara mumbled. "Honestly, I'm not really that excited to go."

"Oh, c'mon Kie! It's Evelyn's first real kook event here, it's gonna be so much fun!" Sarah exclaimed.

"I'm excited, I just wish Ben wasn't here." Evelyn muttered and rolled her eyes.

"Is he your date?" Kie asked.

Evelyn raised her eyebrows and shook her head. "Hell no!" The two other girls chuckled nervously.

"I'm going with Topper, since John B isn't a club member and all that bullshit." Sarah sounded less than thrilled to have Evelyn's brother as her date.

"Couldn't you just go alone?" Evelyn asked confused.

Sarah and Kiara looked at each other. "You can't, you need a date to get in." Sarah explained.

Evelyn exhaled deeply out of frustration. She had no idea who to bring, and there was also the big risk of being forced to go with Ben of she couldn't think of anyone else.

"Why haven't anybody told me this?" Evelyn grunted as she buried her face in her hands. Kiara laughed lightly.

"My brother doesn't have a date yet, I think." Sarah proposed and took another zip of her almost empty glass. Evelyn pulled her head out from her hand and frowned at Sarah. "I mean, you don't have not that much of a choice. And Rafe knows the etiquette pretty well." Sarah continued.

Evelyn thought about the idea of going to a sophisticated party with Rafe Cameron by her side.

"Perhaps, it's not the worst idea, but he probably doesn't wanna go with me." Evelyn replied.

Kiara chuckled. "Something tells me different." She said and pointed toward the golf cart surrounded by boys. Topper, Benjamin and Rafe were all there.

Rafe was leaning on the front of the cart, his eyes were glued to her, but at soon as Evelyn met his gaze, he pulled it away from her and back to the boys.

"He's probably going with that Millie or something." Evelyn continued to think of reasons not to ask him.

"He told me she had asked him, but he had said no." Sarah explained.

"Then he obviously has some other date in mind." Evelyn mumbled and followed Rafe's movements as the group of boys made their way onto the patio and sat down by a big table.

"Well Ev, it's either him or you can't go and we need you there." Kie whined.

Eventually, Evelyn gave in. "Fine, I'll ask him later." She muttered into her straw.

"No! Ev, you have to do it now. Theres a due to register the couples and its at 5pm today!" Sarah whispered in desperation as she leaned over the table. Nodding her head in Rafe's direction.

"Oh my god! Okay, here goes nothing." Evelyn said as she stood up and downed her drink in one big swallow, before she marched over to the boys' table.

"Ev, what's up?" Topper said as she approached them. Evelyn ignored his question and buried her desperate eyes right into Rafe.

He was sitting at the end of the table, like you would expect the kook king to do. He was wearing striped shorts with blue, red and grey and a light grey shirt with a matching backwards hat. On the table, in front of him laid a single white glove and a pair of black sunglasses. The same ones he had left on Evelyn's bedside table.

"Rafe-" Evelyn stuttered. Rafe who had been staring into the table since she walked over, jumped at the sound of his name coming from her mouth. He looked up at her with those ocean eyes. She had to pull herself together to not stumble over her words. "Can I talk to you?" She continued and crossed her arms to hide her nervousness.

Rafe's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to answer, but Ben was faster. "And what would that be about, Evy?" He snapped. Evelyn didn't give him the satisfaction of meeting his eyes. She kept her gaze locked on Rafe.

"Sure, Ev." He said and got up from his chair. The two made their way into the bar, Evelyn lead the way and Rafe followed behind her like a puppy. She stopped walking when they had reached the same hallway were they had shared a kiss just days earlier.

Rafe chuckled to himself as he looked around the narrow hallway. "I'm getting deja vu for some reason." He said and smirked.

Evelyn pushed his shoulder and he pretended to fall backwards.

"Rafe, be serious." She snapped and he immediately straighten up and the smirk turned into a serious expression. "Are you going to the midsummers party on Saturday?" Evelyn continued.

Rafe seemed caught off guard by her question, like he new what was coming. "Uhm- no, I don't have a date." He replied and clenched his jaw.

"Are you planning on asking anyone to be your date?"

"Evelyn, do you want to be my da-"

"No!"  Evelyn cut Rafe off before he could finish his sentence. "I'm asking if you were going to ask someone else."

"I was, but since you're obviously desperate then I guess I could be your pity-date." Rafe held his serious face for a few seconds to see Evelyn's reaction, before his expression softened and he let out a soft chuckle.

"That is not funny." Evelyn snapped.

"You're cute when you're angry." Rafe chuckled as he reached out his hand and tucked a strand of Evelyn's hair behind her ear. She froze as she could feel his fingers brush across her cheek and the tip of her ear.

"Shut up." Evelyn said, trying to sound mad but failing miserably.

"What color dress are you wearing?" Rafe asked. Evelyn felt her cheeks heat up and his calmness only made her more nervous.

"I'm not sure, why?" She asked.

"Figure it out and text it to me, I'll get flowers for you- for us I mean." He explained.

"Oh, you don't have to do that." Evelyn exclaimed. Rafe smiled at her.

"Pick you up at 6?" He asked.

Evelyn nodded and smiled nervously back to him.

"See you later, Ev." Rafe said as he smiled at her one last time before turning around and walking out of the hallway. Evelyn didn't respond as she was still processing the last five minutes in her head.

For some reason, Rafe's confidence made her nervous, but having him as a date felt safe. Especially, if Ben was also going. She would have to keep it a secret till the party, and till she could safely hide behind Rafe.