chapter six

Monday 7th June
08:24 at the Thornton Mansion

Topper was about to pour himself a glass of juice when he noticed the letter from Evelyn on the counter. He read it once over and shook his head in disbelief. He leaped up the stairs and bursted into her room, he felt a mix of both relief and anger when he saw her cuddled up in a blanket, still asleep. She hadn't left, but she had planned to.

"Evelyn! Hey, whats this huh?" Topper was waving the letter in her face when she slowly opened her eyes and sat up on the bed. "You were just gonna leave like that?"

"Top, I'm sorry, Alright, mom has the flu and the company was in some kind of trouble. She asked me to come help her with a contract, thats all." Evelyn tried to explain, still half asleep.

"Thats all? What made you change your mind then?" He asked and raised his eyebrows.

"She called when I was halfway to the airport and told me everything worked out, so I came back. I just forgot about the letter, I'm sorry." She lied.

Topper face expression softened. "You should be glad I found the letter and not Lily. She would've been devastated." Evelyn nodded and started picking on her rings.
"Im not gonna tell her, Ev. Just promise not to pull shit like that again, we need you here."

Evelyn couldn't promise anything. If it hadn't been for Rafe she would've been on a plane back to NY by now.
"I promise." She said.

"Is this Rafe's?" Topper pointed to a pair of sunglasses on the night stand. "Was he in your room last night?"

"Yeah, I mean. He drove me and Lily home from the party last night, he followed me inside and got me a cup of water."

"Rafe did that?" Topper looked surprised. "He didn't try anything with you, though?"

"No, no, he didn't. He was just being nice." Topper frowned at her and then he broke into laughter.

"Yeah, no Rafe doesn't do "nice", okay? If he does something for you, it means he wants something in return. You should stay away from him."

"Why are you friends with him then?" Evelyn asked, but Topper was already on his way out. He had taken Rafe's sunglasses with him and left the letter on the egde of the bed. Evelyn grabbed it, ripped it to pieces and threw it in the trash. Then she got dressed and went downstairs, pretending everything was perfect. She had gotten pretty good at that after all these years.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Thursday 10th June
13:54 at the Country Club

"That's good, Lil!"
Evelyn and Lily had gone to the country club to play golf. The last few days had been calm and quiet. The two girls had been hanging out and they've barley seen Topper or any of his friends. She had been avoiding her brother ever since he confronted her about leaving to go back to New York. Evelyn had thought about Rafe a lot during this time, about how Topper said he never did nice things for people unless he wanted something in return, but it didn't feel like that with her.

Evelyn and Lily finished their round of golf and went over to the restaurant to get some food. A few tables away from them were Topper, Klece and a few other guys Evelyn hadn't seen before. Rade walked in a little while later. He had a girl on his arm, she looked familiar. It was Millie, the girl from the party. She was smiling and giggling in his company. Rafe got them both chair and they sat down at Topper's table.

"Who is that girl with Rafe?" Evelyn asked, discreetly looking over at them.

"Oh thats Millie Baxter, her family moved here a year ago. New money, kind of tacky if you ask me." Lily had always been a little snobby. She cared about whether someone was from old or new money, or if they spent money on flashy clothes or dressed classy.

"And she's dating Rafe?"

"I don't think Rafe does "girlfriends"" Lily said before digging into her pasta. Evelyn raised her eyebrows in surprise, remembering the first time she had met Rafe and how he had treated this girl then. That was only a few days ago.

Now they were kissing, right in the middle of the restaurant. Topper whistled when Rafe grabbed Millies ass and quite literally ate her face up.
"Now that's disgusting" Evelyn whispered across the table to Lily who was too busy with her food to notice. Evelyn tired to shake of the sight and directed her attention to her own food. She didn't notice Rafe looking over Millie's shoulder to see her.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

A few days earlier...

Rafe had just pulled into the driveway at Tannyhill when his phone bussed in his pocket. Topper was calling him. He picked up the phone and put it on speaker.
"Hey man, what's up?"
"Are you hooking up with my sister?" Topper barked through the phone.

"What the hell, no man. I'm not hooking up with her." Rafe explained.

"Yeah well, I know you want to." Topper continued. "What the fuck where you doing in her room after the beach party?"

"I was in her room last night, not after the party. What are you talking about man?"

Topper hesitated. "Wait, was that before or after she came back from the airport?"

"She never got to the airport, I told her she couldn't drive. She was like balling her eyes out and shaking."

"She told me she drove halfway to the airport and turned around since that whole business thing got solved." Topper sounded upset.

"What business thing?"

"Her mom had the flu and she had to go solve this business thing." Topper doesn't know.

"Yeah, sure Top, I don't know, just know I'm not fucking her, alright?"

"I can't fucking trust anything thats comes out of your mouth cause you're high all the fucking time." Topper regretted saying that immediately. "Sorry, shit. Sorry, Rafe. You know I didn't mean that."

"It's all good, man." Rafe felt too bad for Topper to take his harsh words to heart. Evelyn hadn't told him the real reason why she was leaving.

"But hey, I know you. You don't go around doing favours for random chicks if you don't wanna hit." Topper continued.

"It's not like that, she's your sister, Top."

"Are we drinking tonight?" Topper changed the subject.

"Sorry, man. Millie is coming over" Rafe said without thinking.

"Oh shit, alright. I'll see you later then man." Rafe was about to hang up, but Topper wasn't done. "Just saying man, if I find out you're fucking Ev, I'll kill you."
Topper hung up the phone.

Rafe clenched his jaw and scrolled through his contacts. He had to call Millie.