chapter two

Sunday 6th June
08:20 am at Topper's house

Evelyn had gotten up early that day. The bag with all her clothes was still packed and she wasn't sure whether to unpack it just jet or not. Something told her she could be heading back to New York earlier than planned anyway.

Evelyn put on blue pyjama pants and a white t-shirt as she made her way down the stairs of the big mansion her dad lived in. It had been many years since she last was here. Her mom and dads divorce was messy and because of soccer she didn't have much time to come visit the outer banks very often. The house felt different than last time she was here, it looked different to. Her dads new wife, aka. Topper and Lily's mom had changed out all the furniture and painted the walls grey. Evelyn liked the new style, it just didn't feel like home anymore.

Evelyn took herself on a little house tour. Two people from the party was still sleeping on the couch in the living room, on top of each other. Evelyn recognised the girl, Millie. The one who was in love with Topper's friend, the tall one with curtain bangs. Evelyn chuckled to herself: "Guess she got over that pretty fast".

There were red cups and empty bottles everywhere. Topper had a big cleaning up job when he woke up. Evelyn had made her way to the kitchen and was boiling eggs for her breakfast when she heard steps from the hallway. They where heavy footsteps, but not Topper's.

"Good morning" Evelyn said surprised when Rafe rounded the corner. He jumped when he saw her and his cheeks turned bright red when he realised he wasn't wearing anything but his boxers, revealing his toned abs and huge arms. He quickly grabbed his pyjama pants that were hanging over one of the chairs.

"Shit, sorry. No one in this house is ever up this early-" he said as he put his pants on.
"- Usually " Evelyn laughed.

"You want eggs? Eggs are great for hangovers"

"Uhm sure" Rafe replied and sat down by the kitchen island. His eyes were burning red and his head was pounding. After he met Evelyn in the bathroom he had drank eight more beers and half a tequila bottle. He was still a little drunk.

"You're Rafe Cameron right, Ward's son?" Evelyn asked while stirring around in her eggs abounding her plans to not make scrambled eggs. "You live up at Tannyhill?"

"Yeah, I mean-" He stuttered

"He lives there, but he's never actually there" A tiny voice interrupted him. Lily, Toppers sister was standing at the edge of the stairs. Evelyn dropped her spatula and rushed towards her, and hugged her. "Evelyn!" Lily's scream of joy echoed through the manison.

"Is Sindy here to?" Lily asked. Sindy was Evelyn's mother. Lily had grown pretty close to her when they visited NY last summer. After everything that went down with their father, Sindy swore to never set foot in the outer banks again. So no, Sindy is not here.

Evelyn looked to Rafe, he was leaning on his elbow and his palm dug into his cheek. She could tell he had been drinking a lot.

"Lets eat, shall we?"
The three of them sat at the kitchen table and chatted for an hour before Topper woke up and came down to join the conversation.

"How come you don't play soccer this season Ev?" Topper asked her as he got seated and dug into his breakfast. Evelyn hesitated before she replied.

"Uhm- I tore my ACL last season and its not healed just yet". She plays soccer, that explains her legs.

"What position do you play?" Rafe asked her. She seemed surprised by his spark of interest.

"Left winger, sometimes center forward"
"I was a winger too in high school"

"Oh you were?" Evelyn smiled at him, that warm smile. Somehow Evelyn felt like someone who hadn't had a day of discomfort in her life. She felt warm and safe. Rafe wasn't used to that.

"Ev is probably better than you were, man" Topper lauged and patted Rafe on the back. Evelyn blushed and shook her head. She met Rafe's gaze but immediately looked away when she noticed it was filled with admiration. She wasn't about to complicate things even worse than they already were.

"What do you guys do for fun around here, besides partying?" Evelyn broke the awkward silence that had formed after Topper had noticed the way Rafe looked at her.

"We golf or-" Topper had to stop and think for a minute before Lily finished his sentence for him: "You party".

Evelyn laughed at Lily's snarky comment. She started putting together their empty plates and rinsing them of in the sink.

"I should probably get home" Rafe said and looked down at the expensive watch on his wrist.

"Hell no, bro! You're helping me clean the fucking house."

"You wanna go for a swim, Ev?" Lily whispered as the boys continued arguing about the cleaning job. Evelyn nodded with a smile and they ran up the stairs to get changed.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Sunday 6th June
02:40 am at Topper's house

Topper and Rafe had called Kelce over to help clean the house. By 02:30 am they were done and had sat down by the outside fireplace with a view over the pool. Evelyn and Lily were laying on a big floaty in the middle of the pool.
"How come your sister's so hot?" Kelce said after getting a good look at Evelyn. She was wearing a light blue triangle bikini and her hair was put in a high ponytail.

"How about I fuck your face up, Klec?" Topper replied and tilted his head to the side. Kelce laughed nervously and took a zip of his beer.

"Were going to the pouge keeger tonight, right? Topper asked. Rafe and Kelce looked at eachother and collectively nodded.

"Sarah will be there with her dirty pouge boyfriend."

"And her dirty fucking pouge friends" Rafe continued. He was so ashamed of her sister. He couldn't understand how his dad kept protecting her behaviour when she was out everyday fucking the same guy who stole from their boat. Rafe was disgusted by the thought of them together.

"Im kinda hungry." Lily complained. Evelyn was hungry to, but there was barley any food left in the house. Topper and Lily had been living alone for over a week already when she arrived. And none of themsen ever went to the grocery store.

"I can go grab us some takeout, what do you want?" Evelyn sat up on the floaty, ready to lower herself into the water.

"Pizza? The Wreck has great pizza" Lily suggested. Evelyn swam to the edge of the pool and lifted herself effortlessly out of the water, she didn't notice how her brothers to best friends followed her every motion with thirsty eyes and open mouths.

"Im grabbing pizza, yall want some?" She asked them when she reaced the patio.

"No pineapple, and a lot of meat" Topper replied without bothering to ask the others. Evelyn nodded and disappeared into the house.