chapter fifthteen

One year earlier
09:05pm in New York

"Good work today, Thornton!"

"Thanks, Coach!" Evelyn replied and nooded towards Coach Moore.

"See Matt before the game on Saturday to tape up your ankle." He continued, pointing to her right foot.

"I will, Coach!" Evelyn smiled and walked towards the parking lot. It was empty except for one car. She had stayed late at practice to have the assistant coach, Matt look at her ankle. She had twisted it during a drill earlier that night.

The headlights of the car hit her right in the face. She ran over to the passenger side and opened the door.

"You're late." Ben muttered unhappy.

"Sorry, I just-" Evelyn began before Ben cut her off.

"You smell like fucking cologne." He snapped at her as he leaned in to smell her shirt.

"Uhm- the new assistant coach helped me with my ankle." She explained, her voice was shaking.

"What new coach?" Ben hissed as he put the car in drive.

"His name is Matt, he's a third year at NYU-"

"Matt fucking Davis?" Ben floored the gas and placed both his hands on the steering wheel.

"Ben, what are you doing?" Evelyn gasped as she grabbed the side of the car door.

"Tell me, Evy! Did you fuck him in there? Is that why you let me wait a fucking hour for you?" He hissed at her while recklessly speeding though the narrow streets.

"No! What are you talking about?" She wept back to him, tears were running down her cheeks from fear.

"He has a reputation, you know. You two have that in common."

"Ben, slow down please!"

"How bout you shut the fuck up, Evy?" Ben yelled. Evelyn closed her eyes shut as they sped through a red light. She heard the sound of cars hard breaking and honking. Ben's face was emotionless.

Evelyn did as he said, she kept quiet. Eventually Benjamin slowed down the car as they approached Evelyn's house. He stopped right outside the entrance and locked the car doors before she could reach the handle.

"Ben, open up please." Evelyn pleaded with tears still running down her face.

"Didn't I tell you to shut the fuck up?" He snapped before he reached forward and grabbed her neck, pressing Evelyn up against the window.

"If I hear his name come out your dirty mouth again, you'll regret it." Benjamin continued as he tightened his grip, almost completely cutting off her airways.

All Evelyn could do was nod. His hand remained around her neck for a few more seconds, before he let go and unlocked the doors. Evelyn didn't hesitate with grabbing her bag and rushed into the house. She locked the door behind her before she heard the shrieking sound of Ben's car speeding out of the driveway.

Evelyn turned around to face the big mirror in the hallway. Her neck showed red marks from where Ben's hands had suffocated her moments earlier. She reached her hand up, her neck was sore to the touch.

"Evelyn, sweetie! Is that you?" Her mom's warm voice was coming from the kitchen.

"Yea-" Evelyn's voice was weak and hoarse. It cracked as she tried to answer her mom.
Evelyn pulled the zipper of her jacket all the way up to cover her bruised neck.

After taking a shower and covering her neck with three layers of concealer, she walked down the stairs.

She could her loud banging and the familiar voice of an angry Zayn coming from the kitchen.

"You deserved that, you fucking whore." Zayn grunted. Evelyn snuck down the stairs and peaked around the corner. Sindy was sitting pressed up against the wall with shattered glass surrounding her. She had a bleeding cut on her forehead and from what Evelyn could see, her blouse was ripped open.

Evelyn's heart raced as she pulled her phone up from her pocket. Calling the police was not an option. She scrolled through her contacts, hesitated before she pressed the call button. Then she put her phone to he ear.

"Evy, what's going on" Ben's voice was low.

"Ben, you need to come over." Evelyn whispered. "Zayn, he's here and-"

"I'll be there in five minutes, Evy. Stay in your room." He replied and hung up the phone. Evelyn's hands was shaking, she walked as quickly as she could back up the stairs, and locked the door to her room.

A few minutes later the banging from the kitchen stopped.

"Is your daughter home, Sindy?" Zayn's asked.

"No. She's not." Evelyn's mom responded. Her voice was shaking. Zayn laughed.

"What did I tell you about lying, sweetie?" Zayn mocked. Just then the front door the the house was ripped open. Evelyn stood, listening at her bedroom door.

"Get the fuck out, man!" It was Ben's voice. He had made his way into the kitchen and approached Zayn. Ben was way taller than him and stronger too.

Zayn laughed mockingly before he stepped closer to Ben. The two were standing so close, their chest were barely touching.

Ben didn't hesitate to swing at Zayn's face. Zayn stumbled backwards, reaching for his face.

"I think you're the one who should leave, soccer boy." Zayn hissed as he rubbed his jaw.

His comment made Ben leap towards him, placing his fist right in his stomach and then another punch under his chin. Zayn threw his hands up in the air and stumbled into the hallway. He made eye contact with Ev, who was now standing in the middle of the stairs.

"You're lucky your bitch-ass boyfriend came to the rescue this time." Zayn hissed at her. "But one day he wont be here to save you, you know."

Evelyn flipped Zayn off before he disappeared out the front door, that Ben had left wide open. She rushed down the stairs and threw her arms around Ben's neck. He had helped her mother to her feet.

"Thank you very much, Benjamin" Sindy wept. She was standing by the sink with a paper towel covering her cut. "He's not always this way, I made him angry." She continued.

Evelyn was used to her mom defending Zayn's actions and she had accepted that she could do nothing about her mothers destructive behaviour. Evelyn pulled away from Ben's hug and went over to her mom. She placed her hand on Sindy's cheek.

"You can't keep doing this, mom" Evelyn whispered.

"Evelyn, sweetie. He's a good man, I promise."

Ben looked to Evelyn with a concerned look.

"Thank you, Ben." Evelyn said.

"You know I'll always protect you, Evy." He replied and smiled.