👑 The Beautiful Tyrant: Chapter 10 👑

Start from the beginning

"See?" Kalim chuckles. "There you go. He's been a model vice housewarden. In fact, he's put me to shame. He let dark thoughts get the better of him for a brief time. Other than that, he's a perfectly capable guy. It's true that he used you all to try and kick me out, but Jamil never once hurt me before the holiday incident, and believe me, he could have. He's had every possible opportunity to do far worse things. But he never did. Not once in seventeen years. I know I can't exactly call him a good guy, but still."

The students sees Kalim, looking at him with stunned expressions on their faces. "Housewarden..."

"It's frustrating not being able to explain myself better, but...could you give us just a little more time to sort this out?" Kalim asks.

The students glanced at each other, thinking about the request. "If that's what you want...then I guess so," a student says.

Outside the lounge, Jamil leans on the wall, hearing the entire conversation. "..."

"We've been more or less treading water ever since," Jamil says. "Scarabia emphasizes mindfulness and forethought. Our students are trying to avoid jumping to conclusions. They're watching and waiting to see who's more beneficial to side with. Myself and Kalim included.

Angel thinks about Jamil's words, a small smile forming on her face as she recalls a memory. She remembered being asked why does she put her life on the line to save people that she didn't even know that were overblotted, and she answered that it was because she wanted to give them a second chance to experience life in their hands, not by someone else. She looked to Jamil, seeing that what she did wasn't in vain. Azul only chuckles at the words. "Heh. Classic Scarabia," he says. "Astoundingly shameless, one and all. I'm pressed the two of you would even dance together after everything that transpired.

Jamil scoffs at him with arms crossed. "Hmph. Say what you will. In my case, the overblot incident has caused my reputation at school to plummet. It makes sense for me to fall in line with Kalim for a while, in the interest of improving my position both within Scarabia and without."

"That's still good to hear," Angel says. "At least you're giving a chance to redeem yourself, and I'm sure you'll get their trust again."

"Heh," Azul chuckles. "The students must be circling you like sharks, waiting for the first sign of blood so they can challenge you for your seat. If not for your clashing idiosyncrasies, it would be hard to imagine a more appealing person to serve than Kalim. He's eventually going to inherit an entire trove of treasure. In our modern society, that wealth represents a power magnitudes greater than any magic. Why, it borders on omnipotence," he states.

"Look," Jamil starts. "My holiday plot was a once-in-a-lifetime gambit," he confesses. "I thought that if it failed, my life would effectively be over, but in the end, things aren't all that different now...Thankfully," he says as he glances at the three. "As long as Kalim doesn't dismiss me, I'll continue to be his aid. I'll continue to prove myself to those around me. That includes Kalim, my dormmates, my parents, the Asim family...and all of you," he says looking at the three in front of him.

"Man, Jamil," Grim sighs. "You've gone from one person before the holidays to a whole other person after 'em. It's nuts."

"Heh, I see that Angel has had an influence on you as well," Azul says as he eyes Jamil. "But, I much prefer it this way," he smiles. "If Kalim ever does sack you, Octavinelle's doors are always open to you," he offers. "We would gladly welcome someone with your pedigree."

"Thank you, but not in a million years," Jamil adamantly says. "Octavinelle is the last dorm I would ever transfer to." His words make the two giggle.

"Hey, guys!" Kalim calls out to the four as he and the others approach them. "We're gonna be late to class if we don't hustle!"

Azul sighs. "Look at Kalim keeping US on track, instead of the other way around!" He says in disbelief. "Heh. I never thought I'd see the day. He's right, of course."

"I shouldn't have stood around chatting with you anyway," Jamil says. "I'd better go get those printouts."

"Gah! Out next period is in the west building!" Ace exclaims. "That's a long walk."

"C'mon, Angel! Grim! Let's beat feet!" Deuce says as they start off without them.

"Myah! Wait for meee!" Grim says as he hops off Angel's shoulder and run after them. Angel sighs as she starts to head after them, but stopped when she felt someone grab her wrist. She sees that Jamil caught her while Kalim and Azul went ahead.

"Though, despite everything I did," he starts, "I wanted to say sorry...and thanks," he says.

Angel looked at him and smiled at him. "I told you before. Kalim would have understood. The reason why I helped you Jamil is that I wanted to give you a second chance, a chance to life the way you wanted, without being bound by what your parents or what the Asim family expect you to be. I'm just happy that what I did wasn't in vain and that you're trying your best."

Jamil looks at her and sighs. "You're just like Kalim," he says as he starts to walk off. "But...I'll try my best to take advantage of the gift you gave me," he quietly says as he leaves, leaving her alone. Angel watched him for a moment, stunned at him as he leave, seeing a slight smile on his face. Angel smiled at the thought, never knew that Jamil could actually smile so genuinely, but the thought quickly escaped her, reminding her that there was more pressing matters to attend to as she starts to run after the freshmen, trying to get to class on time.