Chapter 11

"Alright, kiddo, let's talk."

I sat up to show that I was listening. More than anything, I was curious as to what he wanted to say. It's very rare that he is ever so serious about talking so my curiosity was piqued.

"I'm not going to lecture you since I am sure that Jill and Charlie took care of that pretty well, but we are going to talk about some new rules. It has been brought to my attention recently that I am doing you a major disservice by being your friend rather than your dad. All I want is for you to be a successful, efficient adult and that isn't going to happen if we don't make some changes around here," Dad started out.

I held back a heavy sigh, knowing that he wouldn't appreciate it at this moment. Instead, I kept my focus on him so he knew that I was listening.

"I have made a list that will be on the refrigerator for a few weeks until we have learned them."

"Really? A rules list on the fridge like I am five?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Yes. We are both going to need to learn them and I want them up for a while. It's not like anyone but us is going to see it. You're grounded for three weeks so you're not having anyone over."

I rolled my eyes, but I didn't argue further. He pulled out the piece of paper that I assumed were the rules he had composed. I didn't understand why he put in so much effort for something that wasn't going to go anywhere.

"Alright, this is the list. We're going to talk about it just so that we are clear on it all," Dad started, but I interrupted.

"Dad, I can read just fine. We don't need to discuss each one."

"I think we do. Just so there's no confusion," he gave me a hard look.

"Whatever. Let's get on with it," I replied, annoyance clear in my tone.

"Watch yourself," Dad warned me, "We will start with respect. This rule is a big deal. You will show respect to others, yourself, and property. I don't expect you to "yes/no sir/ma'am" everyone all the time, but I do expect that with strangers and when you are in trouble. Jill and Charlie appreciate it too, but it's not required unless, again, you are in trouble."

"Okay."

We continued going down the list. Dad kept warning me about my attitude and smartass remarks but I couldn't help it. His rule list was stupid.

After a particularly smart comment, he paused and looked at me menacingly, "You know what, I think that you need a break from this conversation to regather your thoughts. I think a few minutes in the corner will help quell that attitude so we can get through the rest of this without the unnecessary remarks."

I glared at him, "Personally, I think this conversation is unnecessary. I am almost a legal adult. I shouldn't have these rules like I'm some sort of child."

"As it happens, you are not an adult and I am the parent. You better get your nose in that corner before you find yourself over my knee. I already told you, Andrew, I am done with the games we have been playing."

Dad sounded more stern with that statement than he had in years, even more stern than Jill or even Charlie ever got with me. I finally decided that it was in my best interest to obey him because he was not bluffing.

I rolled my eyes as I got up and made my way over to the walls he had indicated. It was one thing to get my ass busted at my age, but it was a whole other ballgame to have to stand in the corner.

I crossed my arms and popped out my hip as I stood there. When Jill and Charlie had put me in the corner, I knew that I was in enough trouble already. There was just no way that Dad was going to bust my ass like they did. He didn't have it in him.