Chapter 7

I spent the entirety of my shift stocking because I figured I wouldn't have to deal with many people. I took breaks often, just to calm myself down. My mind was moving a million miles a minute and I could get no clarity. All I knew was that I was mad. Really mad.

I was supposed to close the store but I asked one of my other co-workers to do it instead. I left quickly, not bothering to say goodbye to anyone. When I got home, I went straight to my room, ignoring Dad's questioning eyes.

I tried to sleep but I was feeling too restless. I messaged my friend, Kyle, to ask if he was busy. He messaged back immediately, telling me to come over. I grabbed a hoodie and headed out. On the way to his house, which was a good thirty minutes away, I was completely distracted. Thoughts of my mom and Jill were swirling around in my head. I was just so inexplicably mad.

When I got to his house, only Kyle and his mom, April, were home. She let me in and wrapped her arms around me, "Hey kiddo, we've missed you around here. How have you been?"

I used to be over at their house any time I wasn't at Jill's. Kyle's parents were stable and always treated me well. I still liked being at their house but because me working and Kyle working, it didn't happen as often as I would have liked.

I just gave her a small smile, still not feeling like I could speak. My mind was just too foggy to have any kind of small talk with her. After noticing my mood, she instantly told me that Kyle was in his room. I once again smiled at her and then walked down the hallway to his room.

"Hey, Drew," he acknowledged when I walked in.

He took one look at my face and realized that I felt like shit. He was always good at reading me. It was one of the many things I appreciated about our friendship. In our younger days, when someone would say something that made me feel uncomfortable, he always changed the subject. He protected me like a brother, which I would forever be grateful for.

"Let's go get drunk," he suggested and I immediately agreed.

Kyle grabbed his keys and wallet and went to tell his mom that we were leaving. We left out the back door, deciding to take his truck. There was this liquor store two counties over that would let us use our fake IDs to buy alcohol. We usually went there before hitting the backroads.

At Dano's liquor, every Tuesday alcohol is 15% off, which was very convenient. I hardly ever made it up on a Tuesday so I missed out on the deal most of the time, but we managed today, but just barely. They closed in ten minutes by the time we got there.

Kyle and I each grabbed a thing of Corona, our beer of choice. When we went to pay, the cashier gave us his normal spiel about safe driving and the dangers of alcohol as he checked us out.

We left and hit the backroads to make it to Kyle's grandparents' land. They never knew we were out there but if we ever were found out, we wouldn't get in trouble for trespassing. It was very convenient and as long as we didn't get caught, it was the perfect place to hang out and throw parties. It was on the bluffs right on the river which made for a great spot to clear heads.

There were never cops down this way so we had no problem cracking one open on the drive down to the place. We never went too loud and crazy out of respect for the people who lived around until we got to Nana and Papaw's place. They lived far enough away that nobody could hear us if we did get loud and crazy, which we did.

This time though, I just needed to get away from my life and enjoy myself for a few hours. With everything that has been going on lately, I just need a break and the best way for me to do that is to get shitfaced and do stupid shit. I know it's not the best method, but it works for me.