Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Silence to Joy

Woke up scared from a bad dream after a long, sleepless stretch. Not the best way to have started the last month of 2023.

Dreams turned into shadows in my head, with fears whispering and dancing around. Hadn't visited dreamland in ages, and when I did, it was a dark one. Nighttime felt uncomfortable, and my wakeup came with a loud cry instead of a calm morning.

Funny how life went – the end of the year didn't start with a peaceful dawn but with the rough edges of a weird dream.

December felt like a quick ride, not much happening at the start. I hadn't chatted with Freya much during this time, and then boom, preboards hit from December 2nd to the 14th.

The first days were calm, almost like life was taking a breather. But in the background, there was this feeling of something unsaid between Freya and me, like words waiting to be spoken.

Then, December got busy with preboards – the time when exams creep up. The air was heavy with the seriousness of studying and giving exams. In the middle of all this, Freya and I stayed connected, but our talks felt like unfinished lines in a poem.

From the 2nd to the 14th, it was all about tests – pens writing, pages flipping. The stress was real. Amidst all this, the flow of life kept going, and my conversations with Freya stayed in the back of my mind, like stories waiting to happen.

During the preboards, I teamed up with a girl, let's call her Ema. She was two years ahead of me and a really nice person – way better than I am, to be honest. Thanks to her, those preboards didn't feel as bad as they could have.

Ema, my partner in tackling exams, brought some extra goodness to the scene. She was like a helpful guide, making the maze of subjects and deadlines less confusing. Facing exams didn't seem as tough when you had someone kind and understanding by your side.

As we went through the pen-scribbling and page-turning routine, Ema's positive vibes made everything better. In the middle of the stress, her presence felt like a calm spot where worries could take a break. The preboards, instead of being a dark cloud, turned into a time of shared laughs.

In the story of those preboard days, Ema played a key role like a lively thread, adding moments of friendship to the exam journey.

Looking back, I realized Ema made a big difference in how I faced those preboards. She turned what could have been all sadness into happiness, even if it was by just a bit.

Reflecting on the challenges I faced, bad things seemed to stretch endlessly, like a never-ending night. Counting them all felt like trying to count stars in the sky. But within this vast darkness, a couple of good things stood out, shining like beacons in the gloom.

Freya was always there for me, a strong support through tough times. She was like a reassuring song in the midst of difficulties and even if we didn't talked these days, her very presence was enough to make me happy. Another bright spot was my new online friend, Xoe-Xoe. In the digital world, where friendships can seem temporary, her companionship became a steady force, reminding me that support can come from unexpected sources.

Looking back, the challenges left their marks, but so did these moments of light. The struggles were like dark clouds, but Freya and Xoe-Xoe were like rays of sunshine piercing through, making the journey a bit more bearable.

In the middle of all the exams, where talking wasn't an option, there was a kind of secret game – stealing glances at Freya. Even though we didn't chat much, looking at her felt like a small comfort, a way to break the silence in the serious atmosphere of exams.

Her eyes were serious but cute at the same time. It was like there was more to them than just exam stress. They became my little escape from the pressure of tests. In a room filled with papers, pens, and pencils, her eyes were a quiet place where words weren't needed.

Freya's short hair added to her unique charm. It gave her this elegant look that stood out among all the desks and stress. Each time I glanced, it was like discovering a new detail in a painting.  It helped greatly in breaking the routine of exams.

Her skin had a lovely pale yellowish hue, like a soft sunrise in the midst of all the exam seriousness. It made her stand out a bit, adding a touch of color to a place that usually seems plain. In a room full of people worrying about exams, she reminded me that beauty can show up in unexpected moments.

In the middle of all the stolen glances and little joys, there came a day that left a deep mark. It was the 21st of December 2023, a day I can't forget even if I tried. This was the day when I faced one of the toughest Parent-Teacher Meetings, not because of the teachers, but because of my grades taking a nosedive.

The disappointment in my parents' eyes hit harder than any scolding from the teachers. That day, I got punished, and I won't say I deserved it, but what I really wished for was that they could've tried to see things from my side, even just a little bit.

The numbers on my report card weren't just grades; they became a heavy judgment. The punishment felt like an emotional storm, and behind it, I wished they could understand the challenges and battles I was facing.

In the quiet aftermath of that tough day, I wasn't just dealing with the visible consequences but also the feeling of not being understood. The pages of my school story, once filled with little moments of happiness, now carried the weight of unexpected disappointment, where the plea for understanding got lost in the silence of what my parents expected.

After finishing the tough preboard exams and the PTM on December 21st, I decided to take a break from school. For the next three days, I was at my house and was just questioning that where did I went wrong.

On December 25th, Christmas Day, I went to the church. There, in the peaceful atmosphere, I said my prayers and felt a nice calmness. After leaving the church, that peaceful feeling stuck with me, like a gift from Santa during the busy holiday season.

The last two days of my self-made break were spent at home, thinking and relaxing. It was a quiet and thoughtful time, a chance to recharge during the holiday hustle.

As the days rolled on, reaching the eve of December 31, 2023, I decided to break the silence with Freya. Life has its surprises, you know? So, I sent a simple "Hi" to her, not really expecting a reply.

But to my surprise, Freya not only replied but sent a voice note. It was like a little unexpected gift. Joy, shock, happiness, and a touch of nerves – all mixed up in me. Her response was unique, a melody in the silence of the night.

We talked for a while, and in that conversation, I found a kind of peace. It was more than just words; it was like finding a calm spot in the middle of life's chaos. For the first time in a while, a real happiness settled in my heart, brightening the shadows of my days.

As the year bid its farewell, I felt a deep sense of gratitude. A simple "Hi" had opened a door to unexpected joy, turning a page in my story. And so, as the clock counted down to the new year, I closed my eyes and smiled.

To be continued...

Hey there,

Just wanted to say I didn't forget about November. Spent the whole month at home, and honestly, nothing crazy happened. So, skipping the November chat. Hope that's cool with you.

Catch you later,
{Haise}