War of Wrath

~In Ossiriand, Thranduil faces his own problems; when the Dark Lord releases his most deadly weapon nobody is safe.~

oOo

War of Wrath

Oropher shut the door to his study and locked it carefully, putting the key on its chain over his head. "Good news, son."

Thranduil did not return his smile. He hated the object behind that door.

"An army has arrived from Valinor," Oropher continued. "Thousands of elves led by Valar and Maiar. Did I not tell you it would be so? And you wanted to run to the mountains and beg Gil-galad to let us in with the tail behind our legs. Tsk tsk. You need to learn to trust your adar."

His words caught Thranduil's interest despite the questionable source of his information. "The Valar came?"

"Aye, aye, they did! Do pay attention. The host is walking towards Morgoth's realm and wipes out every orc and balrog in its path. And talking of wiping out orcs; the ones that came south are all gone now. I did not see this myself but Maedhros tells me the arrival of the Aman army lured away the balrogs, and then the ents stepped forward and killed the remaining orcs and wargs. The tree-herders fear only fire."

Thranduil thought of Doriath that had been cut down and burned to a wasteland. There had sadly been no ents there to protect it.

Not that it mattered; the lands would drown.

"Was Eärendil and Elwing on the ships?" he asked.

"How should I know? I told you many times I cannot see details in my visions."

"How is the colony, then? Are they safe?" He braced himself for the expected reaction.

Oropher's cheerful features immediately clouded over. "Will you ever cease nagging me about the colony? Who cares about a bunch of mutineers and thieves?"

"I do."

"Well, stop it."

"Are they safe?" he insisted.

"Aye, they are safe. Now be quiet and let me think. What should we do with this information? You must tell the people, of course; it will cheer them up. But should we expand to the west now that the Mouths of Sirion is freed? We could replenish our sea salt stores and bring back fish. I have not had a decent meal of fish for years; the freshwater ones are not nearly as tasty."

Thranduil did not reply. How could Oropher think about food now? If the promised host had arrived from Valinor, then the other prophecies may be close to fulfilment. The lands would sink and the people's worldly goods with them.

They had to leave.

But there was no use telling his father that; he had already tried to persuade him countless times. It would only lead to a quarrel, or even a beating if Oropher was in a bad mood.