Mormegil and Finduilas

~Disaster hits Nargothrond and Aerneth is trapped there. How can she deliver a warning to her husband in Doriath before the dragon gets there first?~

oOo

Finduilas and Túrin by Elena Kukanova

Mormegil and Finduilas

A palace servant led the way to Nargothrond. When they crossed the bridge, Aerneth peered down at the stormy waters and shook her head. Stupid not to keep such a great natural defense.

Then it struck her how ironic it was that she had chided Thranduil for trying to keep his march-wardens safe, when here she was on a mission to tell the king of Nargothrond he was too bold and out in the open! But if she was honest with herself, she had not meant what she said to Thranduil, it was just her usual compulsion to wind him up and make him lose that hateful glass face. She did want him to stay safe – or even better, to get as far away from Doriath as possible.

Inside, Aerneth reflected that Nargothrond looked very much like Menegroth. It had similar silver trees and animals, and hidden skylights providing a faint illumination. It even smelled the same way, slightly damp and cellar like.

It was heavenly to take a bathe and change clothes after such a long time on the road, and when she went with her companions to the palace, Aerneth felt a little hopeful again. Perhaps if they could speak more with Orodreth, they could still persuade him to relent? Especially if Túrin was not around. It seemed the man was a bad influence on the weak king.

Sadly, they would not be so lucky, for when she entered the dining area, Túrin was the first person Aerneth saw. With his height and proud air, he dominated the room. He was talking with a blonde elleth, and when the messengers entered he waved them to him.

"Allow me to introduce you to my good friend Princess Finduilas, daughter of the king."

Finduilas politely exchanged a few words with them, but very soon her attention returned to the man beside her. Aerneth could see why; dressed in fine clothes, but with the physique and bearing of a warrior, he looked very handsome – if you were into the dark, arrogant type. Aerneth prefered blonde, strong and silent ellyn, but had to admit that Túrin had charisma. No wonder Thranduil had seemed so fond of him, when he talked about the boy during their water calls.

An ellon joined them, casting a dark look at Túrin before turning to Aerneth. "My Lady Aerneth. I am happy to see you are well!"

She looked at him in surprise at first, but then recognised him. "Gwindor!" Last time she saw that face was in her water bowl at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. It had been shortly before his brother was severed right before his eyes, after which he had charged prematurely, leading all the elves he brought from Nargothrond to their death.