If Only You Stayed

Start from the beginning

    Jin nodded profusely, her contagious smile making its way back onto her face. "I would like to help you with something."

    Rein quirked an eyebrow at the girl, "What could I possibly need help with?"

    Jin's eyes looked her up and down, "Your attire..."

    Kireina had spent all her time serving at the tea shop that her primary garb was now the shop uniform or Katara's old underskirt. Clothing was a lot more expensive in Ba Sing Se than she expected and working off of tips wasn't enough to purchase the items she wanted.

    "You don't exactly fit in." Jin finished her thought. "I have some money left over from my birthday, please let me buy you a proper Earth Kingdom outfit. An apology gift, if you will."

    There was no time for Rein to decline the sentiment because Jin quickly grabbed her elbow and began dragging her downtown to her favorite clothing shop. As the younger girl began diving headfirst into racks, Rein winced at the price tags.

    "I was in here the other day and they had the most perfect outfit for you." Jin muttered, rapidly pushing hangers around. "Ah! Here it is!"

    The garb was shoved into her arms followed by a strong push towards the dressing room. "How did I get myself into this mess." Kireina grumbled to herself as she began undressing.

    Once she tied the last piece of fabric around her waist, Rein had to admit this outfit was perfect. A beautiful forest green top that cascaded down her arms, wrapping snuggly at her hips before flaring out down her lower back. She donned brown, skin tight pants that allowed her to move without restriction. Her torso was left bare but she had grown accustomed to it.

    "Let me see!" Jin whined from behind the curtain. Rein had almost forgot she was there after having been so caught up in her reflection. She stepped out, revealing the garb Jin picked out. The girl squealed, "It's perfect!"

☼☼☼

The day had passed before Rein's eyes, the sun was now setting peacefully along the western horizon and the lantern lighters were marching up and down the streets.

    Her stomach was churning at the thought of seeing her brother. Well, not so much Aang, as Sokka and Katara. It had been months since she laid her eyes on them, their last encounter playing on repeat in the confines of her memory. Rein and Sokka had said some choice words to each other, words in which she wished she could take back.

    The fire that burned within Kireina was overpowering. She felt at times that she had no control over herself, like autopilot kicked in and she was riding passenger.

    She knew she was jealous of Aang, the treatment he was given was so vastly different than Rein. The way his friends blindly followed him and helped him on his journey, Kireina wished for that. She longed for the type of stability her brother had with his friends.

    They were her friends too, weren't they?

    "There you are!" Jet exclaimed. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

    Rein held up her hands in mock enthusiasm, "Here I am!"

    "I had to do a double take when I saw you, couldn't believe my eyes! New outfit, huh?" He winked, running his fingers across her garb.

    Looking down in hopes to hide the small blush that coated her cheeks, "Uh, yeah. That girl Jin bought it for me."

    Jet's brows furrowed together, "You're talking about that girl from the square with Zuko? Did you use brute force or something?"