Home is You

Book Two | Earth

     "Jeez Zu, what has you so down in the dumps today? Is it that time of the month?" Rein joked as she joined Zuko along the shore. The Prince remained silent, his gaze fixated on the rising sun. "Zuko, talk to me. What's on your mind?" 

     "It's nothing, Reina." He replied dully, a sigh escaping his throat. 

     "Look at me. Do I look dumb to you?" 

     The teen shook his head still refusing to remove his eyes from the horizon. Kireina's mind wandered, racking her brain for possible reasons why her companion was so off today. Zuko was fine over the last three weeks, things seemed fairly normal up until now. 

     "Is it because we had to abandon your ship to avoid getting caught by the Fire Nation? I mean, it's really not that big of a deal. We're just taking the more scenic route!" Rein tried to lighten the mood. 

     Zuko once again shook his head, finally turning his blank stare to her. "Three years ago today my father banished me. Three years." 

     "Well Happy 3rd Birthday! Who cares about your dad!" She giggled, shoving her shoulder playfully against his. The Prince's eyes narrowed and he abruptly stood up, leaving Rein to sit by herself. He began pacing down the beach, picking up shells and hurling them into the water angrily. Kireina groaned and fell backwards into the sand, mentally kicking herself for making light of a genuinely serious moment. 

     She decided to let him release his anger his own way instead of chasing after him. Alternatively she tried to relax under the warm rays of sun as they slowly poked over the ocean. Admittedly, Rein was ecstatic to be off that floating death trap and on solid ground. After leaving the North Pole almost a month ago, Iroh got word from some of his moles that he and his nephew were now declared enemies of the Fire Nation. Immediately he had the ship dock at the nearest port and announced that they would travel on foot from then on. It was only day four of traveling the coast and Kireina loved it. She was able to spend quality time with Iroh, enjoying his endless stories and funny folk songs unlike Zuko who was yanking his hair out every second of the way. 

     Aang begged Rein to come with him to the Earth Kingdom instead of leaving once again with Zuko but she painfully declined. It wasn't that she didn't want to go but that she still wasn't comfortable being around Sokka after their fight weeks prior. In all honesty, adventuring with her firebending friends felt more alluring to her. Plus she was able to keep an eye on Zuko, protecting her brother in that sense in lieu of guarding him side by side. She could also tell that Sokka was furious over the necklace that now adorned her throat, he wasn't the best at hiding his feelings. 

     Even when they parted ways and said their farewells, she avoided Sokka. Only giving bone crushing hugs to Katara and her brother while Sokka sat on Appa's saddle staring at the world's new moon. Zuko waited impatiently on the deck of his ship, watching carefully to make sure his Reina didn't leave him. He had just gotten her back and he wasn't about to lose her again. Though he could obviously tell something was off when she refused to acknowledge the guy who was head over heels for her. Respectfully he didn't question her motives, knowing well she would tell him what happened when she was ready.