Fresh Brewed Tea & Teakwood

"Rein, wake up

"Rein, wake up."

The teen groaned, swatting at the hands that poked and prodded at her face. "Ten more minutes."

"Why is her face all red? You think she's dreaming of something naughty?"

Rein slowly opened her eyes, her vision focusing on the campsite before her. Her mind was reeling, where was Zuko? Was is all just a dream?

As her wandering thoughts caught up with the present, she sat upright spastically causing the group of onlookers to jump away in fear. Her gaze met each of them, her heart plummeting deeper and deeper in her chest as she realized Zuko was no where to be seen. Kireina couldn't stop the tears from welling up and without a word she fled from them, not wanting them to tease her for crying over something so trivial.

The silence surrounding her was only interrupted by her sniffles and the light pattering of her tears hitting the fallen leaves at her feet. How could a dream feel so real? How could her own subconscious play such dirty tricks on her?

"Rein," Jet sighed, finally catching up to the heartbroken girl. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, allowing her tears to continue dripping down her face. Jet was frozen, unsure of what to do in order to help Kireina. He had only seen her cry once before, a scene much different from the one he's witnessing now. There was no catastrophic wind and the ground beneath them laid still. He watched as the breeze caused tendrils of hair to stick to her cheeks.

"I don't understand why they chose me, Jet. We live in a world inhabited by millions of souls, so why did they pick me?" Rein cried, falling to her knees. She fisted the earth in her hands, letting the soil crumble through the gaps between her fingers.

"Because there was no better choice than you." He replied gently. His body shuddered as her watering eyes looked up to him. A deep blue that bounced his own reflection off of them. "One day you'll see what we all see, you'll feel what we all feel. You are courageous and cunning, soft yet terrifying. You are our justice. You always stand for what is right, even if it'll get you killed. You're more powerful than anyone this world has ever known so how can you sit here and want a life other than this one?"

Rein remained silent, tears still escaping her. With a sigh, Jet squatted next to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and allowing her to fall into his frame. The two sat for a while, lost in their own thoughts. The sun was peaking through the cracks of the leafy canopy above them, birds chirping in all directions.

"I dreamt that I found Zuko. I've never had a dream that felt so real." Rein whispered, her voice hoarse from crying. "I wasn't prepared for the heartbreak I'd feel upon waking up."

Jet nodded, understanding the events that took place now. Instead of asking further, he gripped her chin gently and repositioned her face to look at him. Then with careful fingers he removed each strand of hair that clung to her tear stained skin, tucking them behind her ears. He cleared his throat awkwardly as he realized the beautiful girl was watching his every move, though he pretended as if he didn't even notice.