BC - Lakehouse 8

She wanted my company, not my body

That was massive progress, right?

So maybe, just maybe it's not about sexual attraction after all. She must like me for me.

Her wet hair was brushed back as she sat on the end of my bed wearing my t-shirt, just checking through her phone. She looked disappointed and I didn't want to ask her why purely because I didn't want to drag the mood down.

Our days here together were numbered and I have no idea what will happen after this. I had hoped to make her fall in love with me but I'm running out of time. Wanting my company though, that was a win.

"No word from my family." She muttered, explaining the look of disappointment even though I didn't ask.

"There's still time." She looked up at me and gave me a small smile of appreciation.

"They won't answer. They want me to turn up on their doorstep so they can trap me in with rules and regulations. I know they're like."

"And yet you still plan on going back." I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"See her?" She showed me her phone screen, it was an Instagram account and there was some African model on the screen wearing a big colourful bonnet thing on her head. "Note the three hundred people who have hearted this picture."

"Ok but why?"

"Check the comments." She scrolled down slowly and I read over her shoulder words like, 'god bless' or 'you bring many blessings to life.' Along with hundreds of compliments and well wishes.

"This is my cousin Zuri, she's a model living in Nigeria and has always been classed as very beautiful and successful. Up until around three months ago when the family disowned her."

"Why what happened three months ago?" Tia scrolled up with her thumb, quickly moving through many posed pictures of this girl.

"She posted this picture." The same girl was posing now with a man, they were cuddled up together and he was kissing her cheek. "What do you see?"

"A picture of a couple posing all cute for the camera?"

"No, it's us."

I squinted my eyes closer to the screen. "Damn, check me out! I look good with bangs!"

"Jordan can you ever be serious for five seconds?" She shook her head at me disapprovingly. "I see social demolition. I see a black girl announcing her relationship with a white man. I see someone abandoning her culture. I see how she no longer has any hearts on the photo. She no longer has an abundance of comments saying nice things about her.

I see how the pastors told her she was no longer welcome in their church. I see how the Nigerian model agencies dropped her. I see how her parents turned their backs on her. I see how the women called her a slut and talked bad about her. I see how the men no longer respected her. Look harder, don't you see us?"