TWENTY TWO; A STAT

The mattress was so thick, soft and deep, I felt like I was floating on a cloud

The mattress was so thick, soft and deep, I felt like I was floating on a cloud. Engulfed in warmth and perfect comfort, I never wanted to get up but I could sense he had already abandoned me, left me alone in his bed.

I forced my eyes lids open, his pillow had an indent where his head once lay but his side of the mattress was empty. I could however hear the typing of a computer keyboard behind me so I sat up in bed and pushed my hair back away from my face.

He hit rest on the computer and the screensaver immediately popped up, hiding his webpages.  His thumb hit a button on a small remote and his electronic blinds started rising to let in the morning light.

"Hey, you're awake."

I squinted, "Thanks for letting me crash in your bed, again."

"No sweat, you were upset so—" he trailed off.

Right. Last night I was a mess, this morning I was totally hoping we could side step that and forget all about it.

He grabbed a stack of papers from the printer and scooted his chair across the room so he could come closer to the bed.

"I did some research." He nodded like he was proud of himself.

"Research on what?"

He tossed the stack of sheets down onto the mattress and I felt the impact sound echo around my whole body.

Looking up at me, staring me right in the face was a scientific diagram of the vagina.

"Research on you. On your body. I spent hours late last night reading posts on redit, looking at webpages and really learning about how much your family fucked everything up for you."

A curtain of hurt fell over me turning my stomach sick. I physically couldn't speak, I didn't even know what to say. I was mortified. He researched me like I'm some kind of homework assignment.

"What your family did to you is called female genital mutilation. It serves no medical purpose. In fact, it causes problems."

Negative emotion swallowed me, his voice kept talking but it was just noise because my ears were burning.

"It was a complete violation of your human rights and I can help you get legal justice for that. I already contacted our family lawyer, told him everything."

"Stop." I whispered but I don't think he heard me because no actual sound came out.

"They're abusive cunts and they all need to go to jail. I printed off a list of local support groups and called ahead, the ones circled have availability."

He handed me a piece of paper, I didn't even look at it. None of this felt real, I was ghost looking down on the encounter, not actually experiencing it in real time.

"There's four types of procedures done to women, each one getting progressively worse than the other. Here's diagrams so you can find out which one you are."