S01E11 Loved Ones Lost! Tearful Goodbyes! (Part Two)

***

Everyone gathered around on a bright and sunny day within The Frontier to say their goodbyes to Marianne and Rian. Marianne's solid brown casket was lowered into the ground, whereas Rian's ashes laid in a white urn sitting atop a pristine podium. Their photos above their final resting places were a painful reminder to Ash that he couldn't save either of them.

He stood in between Bolt and Meadow, Shade beside Meadow, Scabs and Kore behind them. Ash held his hand to his broken heart as Meadow clutched him tightly. Maximus and Mortimer stood off to the side, both dressed in suits. Snout and Beak were there too, as well as their parents, and saloon patrons who had grown to know Marianne quite well over the years. Even Elder Chatka was there supporting Shade with a hand on his back.

Everyone lined up, each holding a rose in each hand. As they reached the front, people placed their roses on either side, one for Marianne, one for Rian. When it was Ash's turn, he bawled out in tears, Meadow holding him as close as she possibly could, as he laid the roses down. He couldn't keep it together, falling to his knees, broken. Everyone just gave him his time to process his thoughts, as he beat his fist against the sand.

"MARIANNE, RIAN!" He screamed. "I MAKE THIS OATH TO YOU RIGHT NOW! I WILL MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER PLACE! I WILL BECOME AN ACE OF SPADES AND I WILL PROTECT INNOCENT PEOPLE LIKE YOU! I PROMISE!"

Meadow helped Ash up off the ground as he looked up to the simulated sky, raising his fist above his head as his tears soaked the sand. Then Meadow raised her fist too, as did Bolt and Shade, along with Elder Chatka. Kore followed suit, as did Scabs with a grin on his face. Snout and Beak joined in, as did their parents. Mortimer raised two fists. Before long, everyone's fists were raised, except Maximus who watched Ash intently. Maybe I have nothing to fear after all, Maximus thought to himself. Maybe I'm not the one to stop Lord Xero... Maybe it's...

"... You," Maximus said out loud before slowly raising his fist into the air.

***

Everyone in the room watched as the spectacle wearing doctor finished unwrapping Ash's bandages from his body, and marveled at what she saw. The doctor couldn't comprehend it, Ash had completely healed in just a matter of days. Not weeks, nor months but days. She had expected his injuries to be permanent, the burns on his skin should have left lifelong scars but they were simply gone. She stood up and took a deep breath, this wasn't your ordinary boy.

Ash started jumping around the room, doing cartwheels, jumping jacks, somersaults on the spot. He felt better than ever. Shade shook his head, clutching his arm, why was he still in pain when Ash wasn't? He watched on in jealousy, as Ash started boxing at the air, throwing lefts and rights, ducking, pretending as though he was up against a sparring partner.

"Well," the doctor said with a smile. "It's almost unbelievable but I think this young man is going to be A-okay."

"That's the one, Ash!" Scabs grinned.

"Yeah, well done Ash!" Meadow and Bolt said in unison.

Kore smirked, this kid sure was a mystery. Maximus didn't seem too surprised with a slow clap. He asked everyone if they could give him and Ash a moment, to which they all obliged, filing out of the room. Ash frowned, what would Maximus want to talk to him about? Maximus walked over to the hospital bed and took a seat, locking his fingers as he hunched over, staring at the ground.

"Do you understand now, why I did it?"

Ash shrugged. "A little. I don't understand everything but I get that you were doing it to protect Mortimer."

"Listen, Ash," Maximus continued. "There's a great evil coming. I can't tell you when, for that I do not know. All I know is that it's coming, and when it does... It will come for you."