Epilogue

EPILOGUE

"I'm going to cook," I simply tell Pierson while pushing him out of the kitchen.

"Can't I assist you?" he laughs while grabbing ahold of my hands on his chest.

"No, out," I order.

"Love, do you know where the pans are?" he raises his eyebrows.

"I'll manage," I reply while giving him another shove and spinning around on my heels.

After looking through all the cabinets, I find the pots and pull the big silver one out.

I decided I'm making Pierson spaghetti tonight. It's easy and he has all the ingredients I need.

After getting the pasta started, I open the oven to heat the garlic bread. I open the freezer to see if he has any frozen vegetables. I smile when I see a dozen bags of green beans, my favorite.

I grab a pack and toss them in the microwave.

I look at Pierson's wine rack and pull a red wine to examine.

"Pier, do you want wine?" I call.

"Yes, I can come open it," he offers.

"NO," I shout while grabbing the cork screw.

I banned him to his office after the third time he wondered in here. He leaned against the counter and eyed the ingredients I was pulling out.

He can be so intense; it makes me nervous.

I don't even process that I'm struggling with the bottle opener until strong arms wrap around me to stop what I'm doing.

"Pier," I begin to sigh.

"Kay, let me do it," he gently offers.

"Fine," I reply while slipping out of his hold to grab the green beans and pour them into the serving bowl.

I set the bowl on the table and then grab the garlic bread out of the oven.

The last thing I need to do is strain the noodles and add the sauce.

Pierson pours two glasses of wine and sets them on the table. He then sets the table with plates, napkins, and silverware. He moves the garlic bread onto a plate and sets that one on the table as well.

I pour the sauce and begin mixing it into the spaghetti noodles.

Pierson grabs my waist from behind and rests his chin on my shoulder.

"Everything smells amazing, Kay," he compliments.

"Thanks," I reply while turning to face him.

"No, thank you for making dinner," he smiles while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"And thank you for keeping the hovering to a minimum," I smile.

He playfully narrows his eyes and then grabs the bowl of spaghetti.

"Let's eat," he suggests.

He sits in the chair across from me.

"Kay, can I ask you something?" Pierson questions after a moment.

"Of course," I nod.

"Why do you call it hovering, when I just want to be near you? I mean it's like you avoid doing things with me," he wonders.

"You can be intense Pier," I lightly reply while taking a sip of my wine.

"Is it the same with Egan?" he asks.