Chapter 15

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing.

I groggily run my hands over my face and blindly reach out to find it. It's in my pocket.

I snap my eyes open as I recall the events of the day.

"He's called over a dozen times, but I didn't know how to get your phone out of your pocket without waking you," Pierson comments from the side of the bed; his bed.

I sit up and hold my head in my hands at the rush of blood pounding in my ears.

"What happened?" I ask while looking over at the green eyes I've been trying so hard to forget about.

"You fainted," he carefully told me.

My phone starts going off again so I reach into my back pocket, glancing down at the screen.

A picture of Egan and I at my graduation flashes across the screen as it rings.

"I'm sorry," I whisper into the phone.

"Kayde! Do you know how worried I've been? Where are you?" he asks in a way that made me think he already knew the answer.

"I'm in Starlight. I kind of fainted, but Pierson's here, I'm okay," I tell him in a rush.

I hear him exhale. I can picture him running his hand through his hair.

"Then why the hell hasn't he answered my calls?" he growls into the phone.

I glance over at him and he shrugs his shoulders.

"He was busy watching out for me," I defend. Something flashes in Pierson's eyes, but it quickly vanishes and then he exits the room.

"I'm on my way to get you," he tells me. I hear the engine of his truck turn on.

"I can drive home," I argue.

"No. You. Can't," he says slowly annunciating each word.

"I feel fine now," I push.

"Kayde, if you get back behind the wheel after fainting," he starts to say.

"You'll what?" I challenge. "Besides I wasn't behind the wheel when I fainted," I press.

"We'll talk about this later. Stay where you are," he finalizes and then the call goes dead.

I whip Pierson's comforter off my body and stalk downstairs. The fire has reignited inside of me and I need to get some fresh air before I combust.

"Kaydence," Pierson calls as I step out the sliding glass door and into his backyard. I look towards the woods for moment and laugh while running a hand through my hair.

I begin pacing as the breeze runs over my body.

"What's funny?" Pierson asks while standing in front of me to stop me from my spiral.

"I haven't been back here since I ran into the woods that night," I say while snapping my eyes up to his to read his expression.

"Come back inside," he offers me his hand.

I walk past him and head into his kitchen. Once I get inside, I grab a water bottle from the fridge and then slid down and sit against its door.

Pierson joins me on the floor.

"Your mark must be affecting your anxiety," he states.

"Must be," I reply while taking another sip of water.

"What's interesting, is that I can smell the difference in your scent, but my side is still present. It's just dull," he goes on.

"I think your side is fighting Egan's," I joke, but his head snaps over to me.

"That's what's making you feel sick," he puts together.

"Egan thinks once we complete the mating process, the other side will go away permanently," I fill him in.

"Why haven't you?" he wonders.

"He wants it to be my decision, not because of the discomfort it's causing my body," I reply.

"You should let him, Kaydence, you shouldn't be in this kind of pain," Pierson lowly persuades.

"I'm scared," I whisper.

"Kay," he begins to soothe.

"It burns every time he touches me," I say even quieter. I don't think he heard me at first but then he's pulling me into his lap.

"Pier," I complain while pushing at his chest.

"What about when I touch you?" he says carefully.

"It's dull, but I can feel the bond. It's like you're pulling on it, tugging me towards you," I tell him.

That's the best way to explain my pull towards both of them. It's my body is in a constant state of tug-a-war. Pierson on one side, Egan on the other, I just wish I could figure out how to get them to put down the damn rope that appears to be connected to my internal organs.

As I'm processing to tell Pierson the feeling, I faintly put together what he's been mumbling.

"She needs both. Her body's rejecting the choice," he says to himself.

"Both what?" I wonder.

"Marks," he growls while his hands tighten around me.

"Both marks?" I begin to ask him, "NO," I gasp his breathing picks up and his eyes darken.

"You'll feel better, I promise," he says, talking himself into it.

"Pier, don't," I scream while thrashing away from him.

I feel the hot tears down my face as I watch him battle the decision on his face.

"Don't," I plead.

"Do you want it to stop?" he presses.

"I chose him, Pier," I remind him.

"Well, your body seems to think you need us both," he declares while glancing at the right side of my neck.

"I can't have you both, that's insane, have you ever heard of brother husbands?" I ask in panic.

"Brother husbands?" he laughs, momentarily losing his hold on me.

"Yeah, sounds insane, doesn't it? I don't want two men," I fight against his now looser hold but he's quicker than me.

"Well, it's not just about you Kaydence. It's about all of us. You're meant to bare my mark too," he finalizes.

I hear my scream before I even feel the pain of his canines piercing into my skin. I watch him lick the wound through hooded eyes. I won't give him the satisfaction of hearing how amazing I feel in his arms, feeling his tongue against my neck.

My eyes fall closed, and I faintly hear a low moan release from the back of my throat before I fall into darkness.

____________________________

*Dramatic music plays*

Much Love, 

A.Lynn