Despite Freya's lack of conviction about Giselle's presence, she had already accepted that her maid wouldn't change her decision. What could be said about the woman was that she matched Freya's stubbornness when she set her mind to something. And that was saying a lot.

Freya watched silently as Leander and Qadir were discussing something with the crew member, at what he just nodded and allowed them to settle on board. With that, some others went to help them, carrying their saddlebags and preparing horses to board—clearly with experience Freya could only admire.

A few steps and her legs led her to a piece of wood that was supposed to take her outside the kingdom's borders. For the first time in her life, she would sail on the sea and, for the first, she would leave her lands. Her eyes scanned the waters before them, oddly as steady as her heartbeat. Her earlier conversation with the Prince took all of her puzzled feelings, leaving only calmness. Yes, all of this was not good—not just, and certainly not something she would have wished for herself, but at the same time, this was exactly what she was supposed to do. Clearly, her life had been settled long before she was born. That was her destiny. She could only hope this so-called destiny would show her mercy after all, and give her enough strength to find some balance between what was ahead. She decided then that she was going to be strong and determined, and that she would try to find some positives. And also, that she would return to her family. As vampire queen perhaps, but she will see her father and siblings again.

"Let me show you to your cabin." Leander's soft voice pulled her out of her thoughts. He was standing with a hand behind his back, eyes focused on Freya, but his face showed no emotion. His mischievous smirks were long replaced with a face of a soldier once more. After having a chance to get to know his more cheerful side of character, this stoic expression bothered her deeply. She missed the other Lee... All of that made her suddenly discover that he was keeping her at a distance, and this realization caused her insides to swirl with sourness.

She nodded stiffly, letting him guide her below the deck. What the hell had she done? He offered her his help, his goodwill on a plate, and she called him naïve!

Freya, you foolish girl. She scolded herself in her mind.

If that was her way of gaining people's trust, she was truly messed up. How was she supposed to function among the rest of the vampires, when the first kind enough to treat her like an actual person, she has rejected and hurt?

Yes. She had to pull herself together and repair whatever was destroyed yesterday.

"I hope it's to your liking. It's not much but should do for the following week," Leander said as he ushered her into a rather small but still, strangely spacious cabin. The decor was modest, the colors subdued and the furniture was clearly there for its functionality—not for a cozy atmosphere. But Freya liked it.

"It's perfect. Thank you."

He gestured at her saddlebags. "Need help with the unpacking?"

"No, thank you, Giselle will help with these later." She couldn't maintain her voice. She sounded weirdly cold and that was the last she should sound like if willing to improve this fragile relationship.

He nodded and turned toward the door. "I'll leave you to settle, then." He reached the doorknob and this gesture made Freya act. She grabbed his hand, preventing him from running away so quickly. They needed to talk, and they needed to do it now. She couldn't let their relationship continue to suffer because of her earlier antics. She needed his friendship, even if it killed her to admit that.

Leander turned around in surprise.

"I'm sorry, Leander," Freya hurried with apology before he could ask what she was doing exactly.

"What for?" He didn't let go of her hand yet but his face was back to neutral, calmly waiting for further explanation.

Freya sighed. Damn, she could only blame herself.

"For rejecting your offer and for calling you naïve. Gods, for whatever my foolish mouth said to you yesterday that could offend you." She grabbed his second hand, remembering that was exactly how he was holding her yesterday just before she snapped with her gibberish. "I'm so sorry, Leander. I do need your help. I do need your friendship, if you'll take me after all of this, of course. I need you on my side... After some careful consideration, I finally see that."

Just for a moment, she thought he was going to reject her apology. She probably deserved to suffer for a little bit longer... But as soon as the thought left her mind his casual mischievous smirk returned telling her she was thankfully forgiven.

"You do need me?" He accosted with a brow raised slightly. "How do you need me to take you exactly, darling?"

If only she could burn there, she would have. Her cheeks were probably as red as beetroot. All of her blabbering and this was the wording he decided to catch on? She let go of his hands, using this moment to smack him. "Stop it, Lee. Be a good, friendly vampire and behave for a moment here. I'm being serious."

He laughed and the sound was the nicest she could imagine at the moment.

"Am I forgiven then?" She asked.

He smiled, answering already. "Yes, Frey, you are forgiven."

The sparks of hope enlighten Freya's eyes. She couldn't stop herself from throwing her body on him in a tight embrace. She heard a soft gasp followed by a chuckle. Freya didn't care. At this moment, she was glad to be near him—not at all understanding this need but fully surrendering to it. "You're the only thing keeping me from falling apart," she whispered timidly, burying her nose in his chest, not entirely sure if she wanted him to hear this or not.

His hands went to her face, with that tender gesture snatching her from any insecurities and shame. Leander looked her dead in the eye, holding her firmly but gently and making her once again wonder how the creature before her could be at the same time one of the most feared predators.

"Let me say it clearly, Princess. I won't let anyone hurt you. I won't let anyone mistreat you. And sure as hell, I won't let anyone stand against you." His eyes slowly roamed her face, imbued with sincerity and devotion. "You'll always have a friend in me. Always, Frey. And I mean it."

She gave him one of her sincerest and widest smiles. Somehow, her hands found his again in a firm grip. She leaned into that touch, her eyes clouded with warmth.

"And you, Lee, will always have a friend in me," she winked, keeping her smile intact.

His laughter filled the room with warmth, understanding, and gratitude.At that moment, the future queen and the King's brother were just two peoplestuck in a sense of belonging.