2.05

✰

"𝙄𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙢𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙨𝙩, 𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙙𝙤 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙖𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙢𝙚𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤𝙙𝙖𝙮. 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙚𝙭𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚, 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙙𝙚𝙥𝙩𝙝𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙄 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚, 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙛𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙥𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄 𝙖𝙢 𝙙𝙞𝙛𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙩."

-John Powell

australia wasn't cold for it being winter. heeseung was glad jungwon had warned him about it. upon arriving to his hotel room he took a shower and wore light clothes, which made him feel weird because it was december.

he looked up the location of the school jake attended with his phone and saw it wasn't such a long walk from where he was staying. he decided walking was how he would be getting there. it'd give him a little more time to think (even though he had already decided he would definitely see jake) and some exercise after being seated for over 10 hours.

in the blink of an eye, he found himself walking outside like he knew the city, or country for that matter. it was strange for him, seeing so many non-korean people, but what was even stranger was the amount of korean people he did see.

suddenly a girl passed by him and walked right back to him, tapping his shoulder twice.

"hi! have i seen you somewhere else before?" she asked.

heeseung was nervous to speak english with a native speaker, but he needed the practice.

"hello. i don't think so. it's my first time here."

"oh, that's weird. i could have sworn i'd seen that handsome face somewhere before. sorry for the inconvenience," she added smiley and walked away.

heeseung then noticed the back of her hoodie—which he didn't understand why she was wearing because it was 35 degrees—had the name of the school he was headed to. he figured he might be in the right direction.

and the sight he devised proved his theory right. a couple buildings, though not tall but really wide, stood a few miles from him. he saw many students walking in and out, running from one building to the other, carrying a cup of coffee or several.

it was quite a sight. though nothing compared to what he saw next. it was jake, walking with a group of people, smiling and laughing. some of them seemed to be korean while others didn't look it.

heeseung tried to pay attention to what jake was articulating though he was very far, but to no avail. he was far too distracted by the different features the younger now had.

jake had grown a couple inches, his shoulders weren't slumped anymore, his face was sharper—his nose and jawline—and his hair was considerably longer.

he looked so different now, yet to heeseung seeing him smile could only remind him of the jake he knew so well back then.

and heeseung's heart clenched.

he really was still very in love with jake.

it was a day like any other from the past three years. jake was dismissed form his last class of the day and he walked out with his group of friends. they had planned to go to eat at a nearby restaurant, but jake had told them he needed to catch up on some assignments.

which wasn't a total lie, but today more than past days he felt like he needed some alone time.

by alone time, jake meant going to the nearest docks for a walk with his lonely self. he had made it a habit for whenever he felt down or particularly regretful.

it helped a little. he felt good enough to walk back to his dorm and continue living like he didn't leave someone behind. like he didn't disappear without properly saying goodbye to that someone. that someone who was so dearly special to him.

jake wasn't sure how that someone was doing now. jungwon had started giving him some forced updates but they weren't convincing. especially the last time jake asked, jungwon answered things strangely. which was the main reason why he needed to think.

jake didn't leave the school zone yet when he saw him, or who he thought was him, lee heeseung. he looked definitely more mature physically. his hair was styled differently—shorter—and it made him look his age. he had pierced his ears, he had grown way taller, and his face...

jake didn't want to believe his eyes. lee heeseung wouldn't be there, in brisbane right outside his school, just standing there staring back at him. jake started thinking he had been daydreaming so much about seeing heeseung again that he actually hallucinated him.

decidedly, he turned his head the other way and chuckled, heading to the docks.

about 5 minutes into his walk, he felt like he was being followed, which sometimes did happen. his friend would sneak up on him when he lied about having assignments to finish.

"sunghoon, you can go back with the rest. i need to be alone right now," jake said without looking back.

he received no response.

"look, i know you notice when i lie unlike the others, but please just leave me alone," jake pleaded and halted his steps.

he again received no response.

"sunghoon, just go!" he snapped, turning around as he did so.

but it wasn't sunghoon behind him.

"hi..." heeseung whispered.

jake froze, not knowing what to do or say. heeseung really was right there, in brisbane, standing right before his eyes.

heeseung didn't say anything else. he couldn't believe himself because yes, he was following jake, but suddenly being caught like this? he didn't know how to proceed.

and both had the same dilemma.

right before each other was someone whose name and age they knew, as well as their likes and dislikes, dreams and fears, personalities, even a voice they could recognize anywhere.

but it was so weird, because they also knew that they were standing right in front of a stranger again. and that was the strangest feeling of all.

I have always loved that quote by Powell, I believe it is so true.

I have always looked forward but whenever I reminisce about my past, I feel so accomplished because of all the hardships I overcome everyday.

You are doing great, bubs. Never forget a second believe that you're in a slump, we all have our own paths to walk through, at our own pace. Believe in yourself!

-nova<3