Chapter Eighteen

Stiles and Natasha stand with Steve as he knocks on a door, Sam opening it "Hey, man

Stiles and Natasha stand with Steve as he knocks on a door, Sam opening it "Hey, man." he says. "I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve explains. "Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha tells him. Sam pauses a moment "Not everyone." he tells them, letting them in. "There's a guest room in there with a shower and the bathroom in there has one too." Sam tells them. "Thanks." Stiles nods, Natasha leading him into the guest room. "Want to shower first?" Stiles asks. "Why not just share? Right now I just need you close." Natasha tells him. Stiles nods in understanding "Whoever we've been working for, that doesn't define who we are as people. You're still the Nat that Clint and I know and love, the Nt who Isaac, Liam and Theo call Mama." he tells her, wrapping his arms round her. Natasha smiles and wraps her arms round his neck in a hug "I love you Foksi." she tells him. "I love you too, Nat." Stiles responds.

The couple sit on the bed after having a shower, Steve leaning angst the doorframe "You okay?" he asks. "Yeah." Natasha responds. "What's going on?" Steve asks. "When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but...I guess I can't tell the difference anymore." Natasha explains, Stiles holding her hand. "There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." Steve tells her, Natasha smiling faintly. "I owe you." Natasha tells him. "It's okay." Steve responds. "If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?" Natasha asks him. "I would now. And I'm always honest." Steve responds. "Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing." Stiles tells him. "Well, I guess I just like to know who I'm fighting." Steve says. "You and I both." Stiles nods. Natasha looks at him, squeezing his hand "We'll find them." he tells him. "It's been two years." he points out. "And we will still find them." she retorts. "I made breakfast. If you guys...eat that sort of thing." Sam tells the three of them. "I'm starving." Stiles nods. "You're always starving." Natasha tells him. "Not my fault I'm a fox." Stiles pouts playfully. "My fox." Natasha smiles, kissing his pout away.

Stiles sits at the table int he kitchen, eating as the others talk "So, the question is: who in S.H.I.E.L.D could launch a domestic missile strike?" Natasha asks. "Pierce." Steve responds. "Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Stiles points out. "But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star." Steve reminds them. "So was Jasper Sitwell." Natasha remembers. "So, the real question is: how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D officer in broad daylight?" Steve asks. "The answer is: you don't." Sam responds as he drops a file in front of Steve. "What's this?" Steve asks. "Call it a resume." Sam tells him. Natasha picks up a photo of Sam with his para-rescue team "Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you. You didn't say he was a para-rescue." Natasha says. "Is this Riley?" Steve asks. "Yeah." Sma confirms, Stile recognising the sadness in his voice. "I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Natasha asks. "No. These." Sam responds, showing a certain part of the file. "I thought you said you were a pilot." Steve tells him. "I never said pilot." Sam chuckles. "I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason." Steve says. "Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Sam responds. "Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Stiles asks. "The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall." Sam responds. Steve looks at Natasha and Stiles who shrug their shoulders "Shouldn't be a problem." he tells Sam.