Chapter Seventeen

Going down the elevator, they find themselves in a room full of old computers and databanks "This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient

Going down the elevator, they find themselves in a room full of old computers and databanks "This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient." Natasha says. Stiles frowns, spotting a data drive port "Here." he says, plugging in the USB. The old computer starts up Initiate system?" the computer asks. "Y-E-S, spells yes."Shall we play a game?" It's from a movie that..." Natasha starts. "Yeah, I saw it." Steve tells her. "Rogers, Steven. Born, 1918. Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born, 1984. Stilinski, Mieczyslaw. Born, 1995." an accented voice says. They look at a camera, which appears to be analysing them "It's some kind of a recording." Natasha says. "I am not a recording, Fräulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945, but I am." the voice says a picture appearing on screen. "Do you know this thing?" Stiles asks Steve. "Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years." Steve responds. "First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body, my mind, however, that was worth saving on two hundred thousand feet of data banks. You are standing in my brain." Zola explains. "How did you get here?" Steve asks. "Invited." Zola responds.

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War II. SHIELD recruited German scientists with strategic value." Stiles tells Steve. "They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own." Zola tells them. "HYDRA died with the Red Skull." Steve tells him. "Cut off one head, two more shall take its place." Zola corrects. "Prove it." Steve retorts. "Accessing archive." Zola says, showing archive footage and images "HYDRA was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize, was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, SHIELD was founded and I was recruited. The new HYDRA grew. A beautiful parasite inside SHIELD. For seventy years HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war. And when history did not cooperate, history was changed." he tells them. "That's impossible, S.H.I.E.L.D would have stopped you." Natasha tells him. "Accidents will happen." Zola responds, showing Howard and Maria's deaths as well as Fury's "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once the purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your Life; a zero sum." he continues.

Steve suddenly smashes the computer screen with his shield "As I was saying..." Zola says, appearing on a different screen. "What's on this drive?" Stiles asks. "Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm." Zola explains. "What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Natasha asks. "The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it." Zola responds, the doors closing. Steve tries throwing his shield but is too late "Stiles, Steve, we got a bogey. Short range ballistic. 30 seconds tops." Natasha tells them, looking at her phone. "Who fired it?" Steve asks. "S.H.I.E.L.D." Natasha responds. "I am afraid I have been stalling, Captain. Admit it, it's better this way. We're both of us...out of time." Zola tells them. Steve notices a small opening on the ground, the three of them diving into it as the place explodes. Stiles' wings burst out, protecting Natasha from falling debris "Nat?" he coughs, looking at her with worry in his eyes. "I'm alright Foksi." she assures him, cupping his face to calm him. Stiles puts his face in her neck "Come on, they'll be here any minute." Steve tells them. Stiles nods, his wings folding back in as he and Natasha stand up.