Chapter Fourteen

Stiles stands holding Nick's hand as tears fall down his cheeks, Natasha stood next to him as her own tears fall

Stiles stands holding Nick's hand as tears fall down his cheeks, Natasha stood next to him as her own tears fall. Steve stands behind them, not knowing what to say as Maria walks in "I need to take him." she tells them. Steve goes over to Natasha and Stiles "Natasha, Stiles." he says gently. The two of them don't respond, Stiles walking out as Natasha follows "Natasha! Stiles!" Steve calls, going after them. Stiles turns on his heel "Why was Nick in your apartment?" he asks. "I don't know." Steve responds. "Cap, they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." Rumlow tells Steve, walking over. "Yeah, give me a second." Steve tells him. "They want you now." Rumlow responds. "Okay." he says, turning back to Stiles and Natasha, "You're a terrible liar." Natasha tells him, gently leading Stiles away. The two of them see Steve put something in the vending machine before leaving with Rumlow "What the Hell is he doing?" Stiles mutters. "Let's go find out." Natasha tells him, leading him over to the vending machine. Looking in it, they see the flash drive they had used to get the intel "Why did he have this?" Stiles asks, pulling out his wallet so they can get the flash drive out.

Stiles and Natasha watch as Steve, now dressed in civilian clothing, walks down the corridor and over to the vending machine. The two of them walk over and stand behind him, Natasha chewing some of the gum they got when getting the drive out. Steve turns and pushes them both into a side room "Where is it?" he asks, pushing Natasha against the wall. "Safe." Natasha tells him. "Do better!" Steve tells her. Stiles growls and moves Steve away from Natasha, his fox getting possessive "Where did you get it?" Natasha asks, holding Stiles hand to calm him. "Why would I tell you?" Steve asks. "Nick gave it to you. Why?" Stiles realises. "What's on it?" Steve questions. "We don't know." Natasha responds. "Stop lying!" Steve tells her. "We only act like we know everything, Rogers." Stiles tells him. "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Steve asks. "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Natasha tells him. "I'm not gonna ask you again." Steve tells them. "We know who killed Nick. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years." Stiles explains. "So he's a ghost story." Steve remarks.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me. Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis." Natasha tells him, lifting her shirt to show the scar on her side. "Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Steve tells her sarcastically. Stiles' eyes darken slightly as he wraps his arms round Natasha, nuzzling into her neck "Going after him is a dead end. We know, we've tried. Like you said, he's a ghost story." Natasha says, holding out the drive. Steve takes the drive from her "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants." he tells them. Stiles hums slightly, his face still in Natasha's neck "Foksi, we need to go." Natasha tells him softly. Stiles lets go slightly, making Natasha turn to face him "Hey, I'm alright, let's go and find out what's going on." she tells him gently. "Okay... sorry." Stiles mumbles, letting go. "No, Clint and told you not to apologise. You can't help it, your fox needs reassurance." Natasha tells him, Stiles smiling lightly. "Let's go." Steve tells them, making them both nod and follow him out.