Chapter Sixteen

Stiles sits in the back of the car, staring at the trees as Steve drives "Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asks, her feet up on the dash

Stiles sits in the back of the car, staring at the trees as Steve drives "Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asks, her feet up on the dash. "Nazi Germany. And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash." Steve tells her, Natasha taking her feet off the dash. "Sooo, you kissed anyone since you came out the ice? You seemed uncomfortable when Nat and I kissed." Stiles asks Steve. "I have kissed since 1945. I'm ninety-five, I'm not dead." Steve tells him. "Nobody special, though?" Natasha asks, Steve chuckling. "Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience." Steve tells her. "Well, that's alright, you just make something up." Natasha tells him. "What, like you?" Steve asks. "I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I. Except with a few certain people." Natasha shrugs. "That's a tough way to live." Steve responds. "It's a good way not to die, though." Natasha counters. "You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is." Steve points out. "Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" Natasha asks him. "How about a friend?" Steve asks. Natasha laughs softly "Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." she tells him. Stiles smiles slightly as his phone buzzes, pulling it out he smiles more when he sees a picture of his pups asleep on the sofa together. Natasha looks at him, giving him a questioning look. Stiles passes her his phone, making her smile slightly before passing it back to him.

They soon pull up to an abandoned military base, the three of them climbing out the car "This is it." Steve tells them. "The file came from these coordinates." Natasha confirms. "So did I. This camp is where I was trained." Steve responds. "Changed much?" Stiles asks. "A little." Steve tells him. "This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off." Natasha says, looking at her phone. Steve looks at  a building ahead of them "What is it?" Stiles asks as they walk over to the building. "Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks. This building is in the wrong place." Steve explains, using his shield to break the lock. They walk in to find a S.H.I.E.L.D office space "This is S.H.I.E.L.D." Natasha realises. "Maybe where it started." Steve says as they walk around, finding three portraits "There's Stark's father." Natasha says. "Howard." Steve tells her. "Who's the girl?" Natasha asks, not getting a response. Stiles frowns and walks over to a bookcase, putting a hand against it to feel a draught coming from behind it "If you're already working in a secret office... Why do you need to hide the elevator?" he asks, pushing the bookcase to the side to reveal a secret elevator.