Chapter 9

Justin's POV

"Where are my keys?" My dad Ryan shouted out.

"Check your jacket Ry." My other dad shouted from upstairs.

He grabbed his jacket from off the coat rack and reached into the left pocket. Emerged were said keys.

"If your dad wasn't around, I wouldn't be able to find anything." He said with relief. "Do you need a ride to school?"

"Sure, it's better than walk-" I then heard a loud horn coming from outside.

"Never mind, I guess. It's probably Amanda waiting for me. See ya." I waived goodbye as I went out the door.

"Jay?" I quietly said as I saw his car outside my house. Turns out it was him honking the car horn. Craig was in the passenger seat.

"Why are you picking me up?" I asked Jacob.

"Why not. Just take the damn ride I'm offering you." Jacob said with attitude.

I got in, Craig and I talked on the way to school, Jacob didn't really say much.

When I was at my locker, Alex approached me.

"Hey." I greeted her. She didn't say anything back. Instead she pulled me around the corner.

"What was that for?" I asked with confusion.

She put her hands on my shoulder and looked directly at me. "Why did I see you get out of Jay's car earlier?" She questioned me.

"He gave me a ride to school. We live near each other." I responded.

"Also, why are you hanging around Jay lately? Gavin already told you to stay away from him." Alex further questioned me.

I thought for a second. "Why don't you tell Craig to stop being around Jay?"

"We all did, several times actually. A lot went on when you were at the beach for two weeks over the summer with your family. Don't change the subject on me." She harshly criticized.

"He's nice to me- at certain times at least. The rest of the time he's indifferent to me, but hopefully it'll change soon. I think we're becoming friends." I admitted.

She looked at me like I was insane. "You really think that? Are you snorting crack!?"

"Yes to the former, no to the latter."

"Justin... you have to stay away from him. Jay is no good, he's nothing but trouble. Craig won't listen to us, he decide to date the fuckin' guy but you have to keep away from him." She urged me.

"Why? Tell me?" I huffed.

"It doesn't matter, he's just no good. Stay away from him!" She demanded.

I shook my head. "No." I said as moved away. "I'm not letting you decide who I can and can't be friends with." I rebutted.

"It's an act Justin. He's not your friend. He can't be trusted." Alex's voice was full of anger after what I just said.

I walked away from her.

"Don't come crying to me once you regret not listening to me." Alex yelled out at me.

I really couldn't care less about what she told me.

Everyone is telling me to stay away from him. Why???

I should be allowed to be friends with Jacob even if my friends are protesting against me doing that.

I don't see any problems with him besides him being a bit rude and standoff-ish time to time.

***

The next morning, I was up pretty early, around 7:30. I couldn't fall back asleep so I took a shower and went to take Pancake for a walk. I put on a light jacket and we went walking in our neighborhood, I went our usual route but when we were nearly finished Pancake still had a lot of pent up energy so I then thought why not walk to Jacob's house.