The Death of Conrad Roy (2014)

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️: Suicide Death

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
THE DEATH OF CONRAD ROY
•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•THE DEATH OF CONRAD ROY•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Conrad Henri Roy III was born in the Massachusetts town of Mattapoisett in 1995. As a child and teen, he struggled with social anxiety and depression. He worked with his father, grandfather and uncle at his family's maritime salvage company, Tucker-Roy Marine Towing and Salvage Inc., while attending high school. In 2014, he earned his captain's license from the Northeast Maritime Institute, along with graduating from Old Rochester Regional High School with a 3.88 GPA. He was a standout student and athlete, landing himself on the honor roll and competing in baseball, rowing crew and track and field events. After graduating from high school, Roy was admitted to Fitchburg State University, but he elected not to pursue his degree in business at the time.

Roy met Carter before graduation. The pair reportedly met for the first time in Florida in 2012 when they both happened to be in the state on family vacations. They discovered that they lived less than an hour apart from each other in Massachusetts. From there, Roy and Carter struck up a romantic relationship and dated for two years. Although they were both from neighboring suburbs in Massachusetts, they only saw each other in person a handful of times after their plans to meet up kept falling through. However, the pair had an intense relationship that they kept alive over texts, as they exchanged thousands of messages on serious topics ranging from Carter's experience with eating disorders, to Roy's struggles with depression.

WHAT HAPPENED TO CONRAD ROY?

Following his parent's divorce in 2012, Roy attempted to take his own life for the first time. According to court documents, Carter initially discouraged Roy's suicide attempts and urged him to "get professional help." However, after two years together, Carter's attitude seemingly shifted.

In 2014, Carter, 17, sent Roy instructions on how to kill himself. Roy ultimately died by suicide on July 13, 2014, after poisoning himself with carbon monoxide fumes in his truck in a K-Mart parking lot. He was 18 years old at the time. In her last text to him, Carter instructed Roy to "get back in" the truck after he tried to stop his suicide attempt.

WHAT WERE CONRAD ROY'S TEXTS
WITH MICHELLE CARTER?

Within the dozens of pages of text messages gathered by investigators, the conversations carried out on the day of Roy's death are among the most unsettling in the case. Carter started out the day texting Roy about his plans to kill himself and urging him not to put it off any longer. "You keep pushing it off and you say you'll do it but u never do. Its always gonna be that way if u don't take action," she wrote, adding, "You're just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off, you just have to do it."