The Murder of Philip Innes Fraser (1988)

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
THE MURDER OF
PHILIP INNES FRASER
•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Philip Innes Fraser, was born on January 3, 1965, to Robert and Shirley Fraser, both who were prominent physicians in Anchorage, Alaska

Philip Innes Fraser, was born on January 3, 1965, to Robert and Shirley Fraser, both who were prominent physicians in Anchorage, Alaska. And he also had two brothers; Will Fraser and Robert Fraser Jr. He led a life that was anything but ordinary. Philip danced to his own beat, favoring the outdoors and developing a passion for the violin.

In 1982, Philip graduated from West Anchorage High School at 17. The following year he attended Western Maryland College, his father's alma mater but didn't stay longer than a year. Philip was very opinionated and idealistic. A high school friend recalled, "He danced to the beat of his own drum. Sort of a rebel, but not the fight with your parents and take up smoking type. He was following in his mom and dad's footsteps, but it was going to be on his own terms". He left Western Maryland because he really missed what Alaska offered him in his everyday life.

After trying to find his place in this world in Anchorage, he finally enrolled in pre-med at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. The Frasers' weren't happy about it, but they supported his decision. Despite his parent's objections, he planned on trekking the 2,300 mile journey to Olympia in his 1983 Volkswagen Jetta while camping in wilderness along the way.

Alaska Highway 1 is known as the "The Alaskan Highway" in both the US and Canada, it is the main artery of the first leg between Alaska and the lower 48. It cuts through the rugged frontier of Alaska and Canada's Yukon Territory. Nothing but miles and miles of asphalt and gravel winding and slicing through mountain valleys of Alaskan-Canadian wilderness. The road is breathtaking, but extremely dangerous. In June, the weather is unpredictable and wildlife is in full swing. Boulders, rocks and tree-limbs hitting the road and vehicles happens frequently. Philip's window already was shattered and taped up due to a semi shooting it out with a rock on the highway earlier that year.

On Tuesday June 14 1988, Phillip had packed all of his possessions, including two handguns into his 1983 black two-door VW Jetta. Sometime between 11 AM and 3 PM the lifelong resident of Anchorage and student set off into the frontier headed for his Olympia home an hour south of Seattle. Just five hours into his journey, Philip noticed something wasn't right with his car. Not far outside a town named Tok, Alaska, he decided to set up camp. He called his parents late that evening letting them know of his setback. Dr. Robert Fraser pressed for further details, but his son minimized it. Everything was "fine" and he'd resume his trip in the morning. The Fraser's knew he had checks, major credit cards and if it was any worse- he'd call them. Dr. Robert Fraser and Dr. Shirley Fraser would never hear from their son again.

On June 17th, after losing two days to car trouble, Philip crossed the border into Canada. Craig Gates was a corporal with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at the time of Philip's crossing: