Once I got home, I walked into the kitchen to grab some ice cream. Yes, I had seen Xander eat some the other day and I was craving some.

I grabbed the strawberry ice cream and started to dig in with the biggest spoon I could find.

"What are you doing?" I froze, the spoon stuck in my mouth. I didn't have to turn around to know who was there. But I did anyway.

Grayson. "Um.. I was.. um—"

He actually looked amused, "You have a little something— right there—" I was wiping all around my face but nothing was coming off. Oh my gosh.

"Here, let me help." Graysons voice was strained and as much as I wanted to run, that wouldn't really be best. We still hadn't talked about what happened the other day with me fainting.

Grayson grabbed a napkin and wiped the ice cream off my chin. Why was I disappointed?

Stop.

He tossed it in the trash without looking at me.

"Um, thanks.."

"I'm looking for Jameson, have you seen him?" Grayson doesn't even acknowledge my thank you, asshole.

"I'm looking for Avery, so.." My voice trailed off and Graysons lips curved into a grin. Oh gosh. I guess the devastating lips were in the family.

"Ms. Grambs, I think I know where they are."

"Evelyn," I correct him, "It's Evelyn."

Grayson smirks and begins to walk away, and I follow him. "What about Eve? Lynn? El?"

I shook my head rapidly, "Call me Evelyn or I call you Mr. Hawthorne."

"Fine."

The library at Hawthorne House was something out of my imagination. It was massive. Hundreds and thousands of books scattered everywhere and dark walls surrounding me and Grayson.

I followed behind him shyly, not knowing what to say. Eventually he tugged on my wrists and I stumbled forward. His touch burned my wrists and my skin felt tingly.

Get a grip.

Grayson leaned over a table with books and papers scattered all around the surface. "Jameson and Avery have been spending a lot of time together." He says, looking at me like I should know something. I don't. "Don't tell me you haven't noticed it."

I shrugged, "Might as well be a fan favorite if she's to inherit billions." Wrong thing to say. "Or they're just up to something." I played with my thumbs frantically, not daring to look at Grayson.

"The latter, most definitely." Grayson's (veiny) hands work through the papers on the table in front of him. I walk over to where he's stood, and I stand adjacent to him, while also making sure not to get too close.

"What is all of this?" I gesture to the mess of paper and books in front of us. His silver eyes meet mine for a second, but he looks pack towards the papers quickly.

"Names. Middle names. Jamie always was one for a puzzle." Grayson lifts the paper up and there are four names scribbled onto the sheet: Nash Westbrook Hawthorne, Grayson Davenport Hawthorne, Jameson Winchester Hawthorne, and Alexander Blackwood Hawthorne.

Could middle names mean something? "Wait, what do you mean Jamie— Jameson was one for puzzles?"

Grayson lets a smile slip for a second. "Growing up Jameson has always been the one with a hunger for puzzles. We all were, but Jameson got something off of it." The smile is gone.

"So him and Avery have already been here?"

"Most likely." Grayson folds the sheet of paper and places it in the inside pocket of his suit. "But I know J, and you know your sister. It shouldn't be too hard to find them."

Jameson. Jamie. J. There was something so oddly familiar about the way Grayson said J, and a sinking feeling aroused in my throat before I swallowed it back down.

"Unless you don't want to?" Graysons eyes pierced through mine, and I felt naked. Vulnerable. I had only known Grayson Hawthorne for a couple of days, but I knew enough about him already to understand how deadly he was.

Getting into business with him wasn't smart at all. But he's smart, he's a Hawthorne. And as much as I loved Avery, I didn't know what her and Jameson were up to.

"No. I do."

And then Grayson Hawthorne gave me a devastating smile, one that hit me somewhere I shouldn't be feeling things.

a/n:

guys at the beginning of each chapter can you see the picture I put up? it's a black screen for me and i'm so confused lmfao

i'm reading the final gambit rn and dude I didn't even register that the Eve/Evelyn girl has the same name as the one in this fic 😭 that will cause quite the chaos when we get to the final gambit in this fic. anyways hope you enjoy see y'all soon :)