Not in Vain

(A/N hey guys, i know i don't put A/N's at the top of my chapters much anymore but i have some  information about this one that i want to say before you start. first off, i know i said not many chapters will be out this month but my finals are easier than i though they'd be so here i am. 

Second, this chapter will have a conversation in German but i don't want to write it in German then have to translate, so if you see text in both bold and italic, the words are in trollish, as they have been. if the words are just in bold, its in German. i would preface you to try and spot the difference so the story doesn't get too confusing. 

Third, im getting serious here for a moment for this warning. I am in no way a soft soul, and it takes a lot for me to get sad, but there were multiple times during the creation of this chapter that had me close to or just straight up crying, having to take breaks as i wrote, so if you are empathetic in any fashion, i would recommend you have some tissues near the middle to the end of this one. thats all from your queen for now and enjoy.) 

~~~

"Usurna's out. Watch yourselves." Aja heard their wizard friend's disembodied voice as they were walking. Both Toby and Steve had somewhat matching bracelets that lit up with the voice. Toby, being the lead of their group, turned to share a concerned look with the blond.

"Thanks for the heads up, Teach." Claire called through the jewelry now that Aja could tell they were laced with magic.

"Good eye's, Doux." Jim added, his tone a little frantic before the light on the coms dissipated and the two boys looked around before Steve grabbed Aja's hand and started to pull her towards their destination.

"What was that about?" Aja asked, wanting to know what was happening or what happened but she didn't question the rush to get off the street.

"Douxie must have had a close call with Usurna, but that means she's out in the market so we got to get to Big and ugly now." Steve explained to her as they rounded a corner and they slowed slightly.

"Rot and Gut, stop being mean to them." Toby halfway scolded, correcting the jock on the trolls' names. "But yeah, being caught by a krubera soldier is bad enough to deal with. If Usurna catches us, we're screwed." the stout teen said, peaking around the corner they just turned.

"That makes sense, but why did Jim sound so much more panicked than the others?" the future queen asked, understanding the tricky situation but remembering their friend's tone that was definitely not one she heard from him often.

"Weren't Lake and Peperjack the closest to them?" Steve questioned, asking for confirmation from the shortest teen. Toby leaned back to them with less fear so it was clear they were in no immediate danger.

"Yeah they are. And Jimbo, even with the slight changes to his appearance, Usurna would recognize him a mile away. You think we'd be in trouble if we were caught, him and Eli would be practically hunted down." Toby confirmed before explaining why he was so much more scared to be seen.

"Douxie told us how this evil queen took control of him." the former princess mentioned as she cringed a little in anger, remembering what, arguably, her future brother in law had said.

"Yeah, that wasn't fun." Steve cringed as well at the memory but out of fear. "He threatened to throw me off a building." Toby huffed a laugh at the tone of the jock's voice.

"Are we sure he was being controlled for that one?" Toby teased, Aja couldn't help but giggle a little, knowing the past that her boyfriend and the half troll had. Steve huffed through his nose in offense as they started walking again.