Chapter 27 : The Bully

Start from the beginning

"Hey you! The skinny and tall boy!" he shouted.

I stopped and glanced back at him. "What do you want?"

"Come, I'll show you my lego's!" He replied, smiling brightly.

I don't really want to go near him because students might think I'm bullying him. But this kid is so annoying. I had no choice but to walk near him and look at what he was doing. "What now?"

"Look, this is my new lego set. Could you help me build this?" He said, arranging the colorful legos one by one.

"Are you plotting something on me?" I asked, still watching him carefully build the Lego boat."

"What are you talking about?" His face change a bit, then he laughed while staring at me."

I stared back at him, annoyed about what he said.

"Are you not a fan of legos?" His gaze back at the lego, and he started arranging it again.

I started to walk near him to see clearly what he was building.

He slightly glanced at me and focused back on the lego. "What are you waiting for? Help me build this."

I slowly pick up the piece of Lego brick and place it where it should be placed. I glanced at him waiting for his reaction if he would cry or act, being hurt by me beside him. But he stood still and smiling while he was busily building his lego toy.

The students back at my school always cry or run whenever they see me, but this one is just happy playing his lego.

"Hey, aren't you afraid of me?" I said as I reached another piece of lego.

He laughed then looked at me. "Why would I be afraid of you?"

I stammered with his response, "are you sure you're not afraid of me?"

"We're probably at the same age. Why would I be afraid of you?" he replied.

"Most of the students are afraid of me."

"Is it because of your height?" He replied as he check the pieces of lego. "You look fun to be with, I like you," he added.

"What?"

"I like you, let's be friends!" He said, placing the piece on the lego boat again.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"I'm thirteen, how about you?" He replied as he scanned the lego.

"I'm thirteen too." I placed the last piece of lego. The boat-shaped Lego is now beautifully built.

"There!" He excitedly punched the air as he celebrated. "What's your name?"

"I'm Leon, what's yours?"

"Nice to meet you Leon, My name's Ju won, Kwon Ju won!" He shook my hand and happily carried his lego boat.

"I have to go now! I'll see you around, okay?" He said and happily ran, hugging the lego tightly. "Jisoo will be happy to see this! I finally built his gift for me!" He's flexing the lego around as he runs away from the table.

My plan to become a bully vanished in a flash. I made my very first friend. Kwon Ju won the name I would never forget.

The next morning, I saw Ju won playing with his Lego's again. The one he plays is different from the one he had yesterday. He seemed so focused and happy with what he was doing that he didn't notice me watching him study each piece of lego. It's probably his hobby to build Lego. I wonder if this is the only thing he does every day. Probably his friends were weird too, more studious and boring like him.

"Hey, what are you doing there? Help me out?" He smiled brightly, giving a piece to me.

I chuckled and took the piece of lego in his hand.

I don't care if he's boring or if the only thing he does is to build lego all day. He is the first friend I have, the first person who is not afraid of me, the first person who accepted me.

Time flies. Ju won, and I became closer. We go to school early every day to build lego. We also go meet up for lunch to build Lego and talk about everything interesting. My mom is happy that I'm making progress in school. She said I became more cheerful and active than before.

"Leon! Look at this!" Ju won showed me the new lego collection he has. "It's a new release. My dad got me this yesterday!"

"That's cool, your dad really loves you."

"What are you talking about? Your dad loves you too, you know." He sat beside me then laid out the legos piece by piece.

"He doesn't like me," I murmured, then took the lego box.

Ju won slightly smacked my arm using his left knuckle. "How do you know that, you idiot!"

"Aww, don't smack me you idiot!" I hit him back on his right shoulder enough for the lego piece to fall on the ground.

"Don't sulk, you're not looking cute bro." He replied, chuckling and collecting all the pieces he needed to build the wing part of the lego airplane we were trying to build. "Parents love their children, some are just not showy."

Ju won might be the nerdiest looking guy in the school, but he is so cool and warm.

I was about to playfully smack his head when a tight and firm grip suddenly grabbed my gentle hand.

"What are you trying to do?"

I heard a deep voice coming from the person who was gripping my hand tightly. Is he the bully here? I'm not doing anything wrong here. I wanted to shout, but I was afraid, just by looking into his eyes I knew he would try to plot something bad. There are so many people watching.

I don't care anymore. I'm tired of this victim blaming students. I will fight him if I have to. I stood up and step forward. I'm taller than him. That's an edge, but that's not enough. He looks tough.

"Jisoo! you're back!!" Ju won stood up and hugged him tightly, letting my poor hand go.

"When did you get back?"

"Why didn't you tell me you're going to school today?"

"Jeong eui is waiting for you, she keeps on bugging me to chat to you."

"I wanted to surprise you."

So many questions to ask, he probably knows Ju won.

They both look at me at the same time.

"Is he bullying you?"

"What?" Ju won chuckles. "He may look tough, but he's a softie."

He came to my side and introduced me to the boy who had a deep voice.

"Remember when I told you someone helped me build the lego you gave me? It's him! He's my new friend! His name is Leon."

He nodded his head and stared at me. "Oh, sorry if I startled you, I thought you were bullying him." He lends his hand straight at me. My name is Jisoo. It's nice to meet you."