Jamil slices the mushroom at an impossibly fast pace. He cuts the mushroom into tiny, perfect pieces.

You laugh nervously. "I don't know if I can do that."

"That's why you start slow. Here." Jamil hands back the knife and stands behind you. He positions your hands to hold the vegetables and knife properly. "Like this."

Jamil helps you cut the mushroom slowly. Showing you how to finely mince them. Jamil steps back. "There. You're getting it."

You smile sweetly. "Thank you, Jamil. Could you help me mince the rest of these?" You gesture to the large pile of vegetables.

Jamil chuckles. "Of course."

After a lot of mincing, the soup is finally finished.

"Done!" Kalim laughs. "Wow, even I can make a simple soup, huh?"

Jamil rolls his eyes. "All you did was stir the pot..."

You recline into one of the cushions in the dorm lounge. Everyone relaxes after finishing their lunch.

Azul sits next to you. "Pausing after a meal to take a light walk stimulates the brain and improves your study efficiency in the afternoon."

"You know a lot about this stuff, Azul. I'm impressed." Kalim looks to the floor. "And here I was just pushing for frantic hard work with no real direction. I think I've put my students in an unfair position. You're a sophomore housewarden just like me, but I'm woefully behind."

Azul only smiles. "Everyone makes mistakes. Our vacation's only half over. There's still room to make up for lost time."

You hear the other students talking amongst themselves. "With a training camp this helpful, staying at school doesn't sound so bad."

"Yeah, agreed. The only chance we get to spend time with you guys is when we're at school."

"It feels like I'm waking up from a nightmare."

Jamil narrows his eyes.

Azul tilts his head. "Scarabia's got a lot of people good at astrology and ancient incantations, right?"

Kalim nods. "As they tell it here, the Sorcerer of the Sands specialized in divination, and this dorm is populated by students who embody his spirit." Kalim sheepishly laughs. "I'm not good at either thing myself, though."

Azul brings a hand to his chin. "I hear the Sorcerer of the Sands successfully utilized a man-made device for fortunetelling that required natural energy. The study of astrology took shape relatively early when compared to other fields of magic. He was so far ahead of his time. I suppose his successes played a major role in that."

"The Great Seven never fail to impress!" Kalim laughs.

Jamil folds his arms. Leaning against the wall.

"Oh, it's almost three o'clock." Azul stands. "Let's get in a bit more studying, then take a break."

"Shall I prepare some tea?" Jade asks.

Azul shakes his head. "No, I'll handle it. I'm the farthest along with my assignment, after all."

Jamil quickly moves from the wall to stand next to Azul. "Allow me to help."

"I'd appreciate that." Azul smirks. "Shall we be off, Jamil?"

You wave to the two as they depart. "See you guys soon!"

They both smile to you. Jamil holds the door as Azul steps through. They walk down a long hallway in the dorm.

"The students' completion rate for these assignments is up fifteen percent from yesterday." Azul walks with his arms folded behind his back. "Those are some statistically significant results. Y/N and Grim told me Kalim was going through drastic mood swings but he's been acting pretty calm since we arrived. Isn't it nice that Kalim's regained the faith of Scarabia's students?"

Jamil stops walking, his hid covering his face. "No. No it isn't."

Azul stops beside him, quirking an eye. "It's not?"

Jamil looks up and glares at Azul. "No offense, but I can't let you stay in Scarabia any longer. It's time you went back under the sea."

Azul tilts his head. "Pardon? Where did this come from, Jamil? Have I done something to offend you?"

"You really don't get it, do you?" Jamil steps closer.

"What...?"

Jamil smirks. "You made eye contact with me. Fool. The one you behold is your master. When I ask you a question, you will answer. When I give you a command, you will assent. Snake Charmer."

Azul groans and clutches his head in pain. "My head!"

Jamil folds his arms. "The pain will last as long as you resist. The sooner you give in and submit, the easier it will be for you. Go on, I'm waiting."

Azul bends over and cries out. When he stands back up, his eyes are glazed over.

Jamil steps closer. "Azul, who is your master?"

"My master is you, O mighty Jamil." Azul has no emotion when he speaks. "I await your command, Master."

Jamil chuckles then laughs maniacally. "You thought I was a mediocre magician, but you were sorely mistaken, an embarrassing misjudgment for the housewarden of Octavinelle. But really..." Jamil glares at Azul. "Because of you, all my carefully laid plans have gone up in smoke. All I needed was a little more nudging from the Ramshackle visitors, and the students would have kicked Kalim out."

Jamil growls as he paces. "It was my way of getting Kalim ejected from his position without getting my own hands dirty. Do you have any idea how much painstaking effort I put into laying the groundwork for that? First, you're going to take the twins and go home to the Coral Sea. Wait, hold on."

Jamil pauses, he turns around. "Azul. You returned all your contractually stolen powers back to their original owners recently, right?"

"Yes, master."

Jamil scoffs. "So much for using you as my own personal genie of the lamp. Your signature spell is quite a valuable asset. But it would be hard to keep you controlled long- term."

"Sir." Azul speaks up. "I remember the contents of the contracts."

"What?"

"I remember all the secrets of the people I made contracts with. Their troubles. Their weaknesses. Their desires."

Jamil grins. "What a twisted collection. I can see I made the right call not making friends with you. Does this intellectual cache of yours include Headmage Dire Crowley's secrets?"

"Of course, Master. I know one thing he would never want others to learn."

Jamil laughs, running a hand through his hair. "That's it. That's it! It's all going to work out! You really are my genie of the lamp, Azul."

"Do you wish to know the headmage's secret?"

"Oh, absolutely." Jamil smirks. "Once I have the headmage's weakness in my grasp, I'll finally be free. I'll kick Kalim out of school and become housewarden myself!"

Jade appears from behind a corner. "And there we have it."

Jamil freezes.