14 - What Have We Done

A day after Nat and I took our walk I was sitting in the living room watching some tv. I was ignoring Steve and just sitting around doing nothing. Nat came walking into the house and saw me.

"Where were you?" I asked. She made sure we were alone, and she handed me a small bag. I looked inside and found a few pregnancy tests.

"You need to be sure." Nat said and I groaned.

"Nat, I'm on birth control. There is no way." I said. Nat just sighed and shook her head.

"You think a birth control shot is going to stop super solider swimmers?" Nat said and I placed my head in my hands.

"I can't think about this right now..." I groaned.

"About what?" Steve asked as he walked in the front door, shirtless and sweaty. He had been out for a run on the trail with Sam.

"Nothing." I said. Nat stood up.

"Where is Sam? We have to go soon." Nat said and Steve groaned.

"You know this isn't safe? You could be caught." Steve said to Nat.

"We will be fine Steve. And you forget I'm not technically wanted by Ross." Nat said and Steve sighed. Sam came out of his room.

"Ready?" He asked Nat and she nodded grabbing her bag by the door.

"Am I allowed to walk with them to see them off or do I have to stay in the house?" I asked Steve and he groaned.

"Romy." Steve said. Nat just linked her free arm in mine, I left the bag on the coffee table. We all walked outside and through the brush to get to the quinjet.

"Be safe and come back soon." I said as I hugged Nat.

"Take the test soon, okay? Remember what I said about super solider." Nat said and I nodded.

"Yeah, yeah." I said as we broke apart. I then walked to Dam and hugged Sam.

"Make sure to give Clint and the family my love." I said and Sam nodded.

"Well will. You and Cap try not to kill each other, okay?" Sam asked.

"No promises." I said and he just huffed a laugh. I looked at Nat and Steve who seemed to be having a deep conversation a little further away so we couldn't hear. She poked him in the chest and hard. He rubbed his chest when she walked away. Steve and I walked to the hatch as Sam and Nat walked on the jet.

"Be back in a few days." Nat said and we nodded. As the hatch closed Steve and I walked away as the jet started up and took off, quickly going into stealth mode.

I didn't even wait for Steve, I headed back into the house. I grabbed my bag from the table and headed upstairs.

"Do you want to discuss dinner?" Steve asked.

"Later, I'm busy right now." I said as I finished walking up the stairs and going into the bathroom connected to my bedroom I shared with Steve. I closed and locked the door.

I grabbed the tests from the bag, sitting on the edge of the tub reading the instructions. I opened a box and got everything ready. I sat on the toilet and took 2 tests, setting them on the sink counter once I was done.

I finished doing my business and I got up and washed my hands as I sat on the edge of the tub again, bouncing my leg and waiting.

"Please be negative..." I whispered to myself in a silent prayer. Steve was right, we didn't need a baby.

I watched the time on my phone tick by and when the allotted time had passed, I got up from the tub edge and walked to the sink. I looked up to the ceiling, closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths. I then looked down to the two tests on the counter.

I audibly gasped and picked them both up covering my mouth with my free hand as tears filled my eyes. I did not need this, we did not need this...

I held the test in my hand as I walked out of the bathroom and quickly hid them behind my back when I saw Steve sitting on the bed and reading.

"When did you get up here?" I asked.

"After you did. I wanted to read a little bit. You were in there for a while. You feeling okay?" Steve asked. He looked at me and could tell I was hiding something from him.

"Um...can we talk...?" I asked and Steve groaned but nodded as I walked over to the bed and sat on the bed. I turned to face Steve as he sat up against the headboard since I was sitting facing him.

I took the test from behind my back and laid them in his lap. Steve picked them up clearly knowing what they were but seemed shocked.

"Ro..." Steve said, and I just dropped my gaze.

"I guess your super solider sperm was never put to the test against birth control before because it fully dominated over it." I explained, not making eye contact with Steve. I knew he was still looking at the tests in shock.

I was hoping he would speak up soon because I honestly did know what else to say.

"So, you're pregnant...?" Steve asked and I just nodded. He placed a hand under my chin, making me look up at him.

"I'm pregnant." I whispered. Steve just sighed and hung his head. He quickly looked back up when he heard me take a shaky breath and tears started falling. He pulled me to his chest and just held me as I broke down in tears. "I'm so sorry Steve. I didn't know it would happen. I know we don't need a baby right now, this is all my fault." I sobbed. He rubbed small circles on my back trying to calm me and he placed his lips against the top of my head and gave me a small kiss.

"No, I should have known it was a chance. I wasn't thinking, all I knew was I wanted you and I finally had you." Steve said and we both gave a small laughed.

I looked up at Chris from the comfort of his embrace. He looked down at me and sighed.

"Is this why you wanted to go into town? You wanted to get tests?" Steve asked and I nodded.

"Nat went for me today. I told her during our walk yesterday there was a chance I was pregnant."

"That's why I got poked in the chest when she told me to be nice that things may be changing whether I wanted them to or not." Steve said and I chuckled but nodded placing my head back on his chest as he held me a little tighter.

"So, what do we do?" I asked quietly.

"Look at me Romy." Steve said and I looked back up at him. He was giving me a small smile. "What we will do is take amazing care of you and make sure this baby grows healthy inside of you and then we will have a baby." Steve said and I looked at him and smiled.

"Really?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"I know I was against a baby at first, but I think I will like seeing you pregnant..." Steve said waggling his eyebrows and I laughed as he leaned down and passionately kissed me.

Steve Rogers and I were having a baby...what had we done?