13 - Stunned

A few days later I was getting changed in the bedroom when Steve came walking in. He just walked over to the dresser and grabbed his earbuds. I sighed.

"Can I have the car keys?" I asked knowing he or Sam kept them close in case we had to run.

"Why?" Steve asked.

"I want to go run a bank job...why do you think genius?! I want to go into town. I need to go to the store." I said and Steve shook his head.

"I told you, you can't make any more trips into town. Ross is looking for you and what's not to say someone wouldn't spot you." Steve said.

"It's not like he has made wanted posters Steve! Nor have I been a missing person or escaped convict on the news! I want to go into town!" I said raising my voice and walking up to him. He just looked down at me as I looked up at him.

"Don't do this Romy, don't fight with me on this." Steve glowered at me.

"Don't do that, don't captain stare at me. I will be going into town whether you like it or not. Whether I have the car keys or if I have to walk so what's going to be?" I asked.

"You will be staying here. You will not be going to town anymore. I hate to tell you Princess, but you are now a prisoner in the cabin." Steve said in my face, and I glared at him.

"This is my cabin, you can't make me a prisoner. If I want to go out, I'll go out." I said and pushed him a little to get out the door to the room he had blocked moments earlier. I made it to the hallway, and he grabbed my arm stopping me from going any further.

"Hey!" Nat said coming out of her room obviously hearing the argument. "What is going on?" Nat asked walking over to us and Steve let me go.

"I need to go into town for something personal and Steve just decided to tell me I wasn't allowed to go into town and I'm a prisoner in the cabin..." I explained and Nat looked at Steve.

"You can't be serious?" Nat asked.

"Ross is looking for her! He isn't going to stop! If she wants to go back to the raft and rot there until her dying days than fine. I'm trying to save and protect her!" Steve raised his voice. I cowered back slightly but then knew I had to stand my ground.

"I can protect myself!" I yelled and Nat groaned pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Okay enough!" Nat yelled and stepped between Steve and I. "Listen, why don't you and I go for a walk and cool down. If anything, I can go into town for you later." Nat said and I sighed as she linked her arm in mine before I had a chance to answer, and we walked downstairs and out of the cabin.

As we went on the walking trail I just sighed.

"What is going on?" Nat finally asked after a few more minutes of silence.

"What do you mean? I just wanted to get out of the cabin and maybe be alone for a little bit." I said and Nat shook her head.

"Not what I meant. What's going on between you and Steve?" Nat asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know..." I lied.

"It's just you two can run scalding hot or Antarctica cold. It's confusing." Nat said and I groaned.

"I can't explain Steve and I honestly. We run so hot sometimes and we can't keep out hands off each other and I can't get enough of him -..."

"Yeah, I know the headphones don't work." Nat said and I smiled at her.

"Sorry, we try to calm down but again scalding hot." I said and she smiled shaking her head. "But then there times like now where we are so frigid cold to each other I don't know how we will ever get back." I continued to explained.

"Why though? I mean there had to be a reason?" Nat asked and I sighed.

"Because when Steve gets in that "nomad" mode or has a major attitude problem, I just can't see myself even remotely thinking about being in love with him or being with him at all. He isn't the Steve I got to know and love when I worked at the compound. He is different and I get him being different because of being on the run but he flips so much. I don't know how to take it." I said and Nat sighed and put her arm around my shoulder as we walked.

"Listen I think you and Steve just need a night alone. Sam and I can figure out a way to make ourselves scarce. Hell we can stay on the jet some night or go visiting Clint or something but you and Steve need time alone together."

"Time alone isn't what we need trust me..."

"What are you talking about...?" Nat asked.

"Time alone together got me in the situation I might be in now and nothing will change it but I have to plan out my future now." I said and Nat just looked at me. We reached the clearing with all of the wildflowers and Nat smiled.

"You plant these?"

"Me and my grandmother. We just took a handful of seeds and threw them into the grass. We had no clue this would happen." I said and Nat smiled. I sat down on the groaned and just stared out into the nothingness of the field. My eyes pooled with tears.

"Ro, what's going on? You're worrying me." Nat said.

I looked at her as some tears started to fall down my face.

"I think I'm pregnant." I said.

Nat sat stunned.