Chapter 6

Zonnique's POV

I was in Dee's car and the ride was silent. I had called the day after and told him to pick me up at Major's house. Kári had told me that he was meant to take Keke out but Jay's death shocked him. I wasn't surprised because Jay was the only family Dee had, it wasn't my intent for Jay to be killed but I can't turn back the clock.

When I got home, I went straight up to my room and put all my stuff away. As I opened my closet, I saw the outfit Jay had gotten for my first job. I took it out and went downstairs to the fire pit in the backyard. I started the fire using gas and my lighter, I threw the clothes onto the flames and watched them burn. As they burned, I realised that I had been crying and I wiped my tears smiling to myself. After the fire died, I went to the kitchen and saw my mama was in there cooking lunch.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked.

"Just frie the rest of the French fries for me." She said weakly.

While we were cooking, Dee walked in with middle aged women in a pants suit and a buff yet smart looking man. They sat on the island and took two folders out their bags.

"Claire, this is Mrs Bayne the funeral planner and Mr Vavaldo the lawyer," Dee said introducing them.

Everybody shook hands then mama took out extra plates. I dished the food while my mom laid the table in the dining room. I took the food and laid it out on the table. We had made beef burgers, fresh greek salad, French fries and chicken strips. We all sat at the table and mama said the Lord's prayer. I began dishing some food onto my plate while everybody sat quietly awkwardly beginning to eat.

After we were all done eating the delicious meal, I took everyone plates to the kitchen. I went back to the living room to fetch the leftover food, I put in all the food in the fridge. While I was washing the dishes, my mom called me.

"Yes, mama," I said as I walked into the dining room.

"I want you to be here with me during the funeral discussions." She replied patting the seat beside her.

I sat down and saw that Dee was looking at me weird.

"So Mrs Hawkins - Henson, the doctors at Hampstead hospital have informed me that an open casket funeral won't be possible. Mr Jacobstow Hawkins was shoot really badly and has lots of scarring. I suggested to his mother that he be cremated but she said no one is her family gets cremated. The final decision lies in your hands as his wife." Mrs Bayne said.

"I agree with Mama Hawkins, I'd rather have a closed casket funeral then." My mom replied weakly.

"Well, then that's settled. Derrick told me that Jacobstow said that I'd ever he died he wants to be buried in an all-white suit and no one must be sad at his funeral. Mama Hawkins discussed some of the catering and schedule with me but I have a 4 pm appointment so I'll see you tomorrow Mrs Hawkins." Mrs Bayne said standing up and Dee led her to the door.

"Well, Mrs Hawkins here is a copy of Jacobstow's will." Mr Vavaldo said taking out sheets of paper.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT
of
JACOBSTOW FRED HAWKINS

I, JACOBSTOW FRED HAWKINS, declare that this is my will.

First: I revoke all wills and codicils that I have previously made.

Second: I am married to CLAIRE ZENDAYA HENSON. I have one (1) stepdaughter:
RAELIA ZENNOR COLEMAN.

Third: I direct my Executors hereinafter named to pay all my just debts and funeral expenses as soon after my death as may be practicable.

Fourth: I give and bequeath to my wife if she shall survive me ...

The will said that all his clothes, furniture etc, and this house were for mom. His shares in multiple businesses go to Derrick and he will also run his businesses and give mom a 50% share of all profit. Mama Hawkins also has to get a 25% share.

The shocking part was that the will also stated that I now own certain properties and if my mom, Derrick or Mama Hawkins dies I get whatever was given to them by Jay. I didn't even expect to get a dime from him but the fact that he cared enough made me regret confessing to Major.

I cleared the table and went back to the kitchen. I finished washing the dishes and went up to my room. I switched on my phone and saw that I had 2 missed calls from Trevor and 4 messages from a group chat with the girls. I switched on the TV and put on The Real. I opened my bottom drawer and took out Cheetos that were hidden in my secret stash. While I was munching my phone rang, I took it off my chest of drawers and answered the call.

"What you want Trevor?" I asked him annoyed.

"Oh, so no hello or how is ya doing? I see how it is. My paps wanted to know where you were." He replied.

"I'm at home with my mama Trevor so if you don't mind bye," I said then I hung up.

I went to the group chat and read A few of the texts I hadn't seen.

×R.K.S reps×

Kári 2.0: Guys that dark skin nigga in my calculus class is throwing a party tomorrow night and apparently it's gon' be off the chain.

Sera4yah: Which nigga, the one with the buck teeth? Nahhhh

Kári 2.0: Not that one gurl, the one who was dating Erika!

Sera4yah: Ohhh Hank, he aight.

It's R×elia hun. : Well anything to get this shit that went down off my mind.

Kári 2.0 : You just need to get laid. Imma admit it though, I only wanna go to this party cause I'm thirsty and Hank invited some people from Goulding High so I won't be bored with the usual Hampstead High wannabe thugs.

Sera4yah: Hampstead boys are better than Goulding boys.

Me: You can say that because you got yourself a prize.

Kári 2.0: Yeah, you're dating Yazz boo boo, one of the finest niggas in our grade. In the school even.

Sera4yah: Whatever, you were all over Corby at his party. Talk about being a birthday present.

Kári 2.0: Digg and I are cool, ok. We just on a tit for tat level. He just helps quench my thirst.

Me: You call him by his street/rapper name, he does more than just help , girl.

Sera4yah: look who's talking?

Kári 2.0: Yeah, you lived in a house with Trevor! Fine ass piece of chocolate Trevor! His dad is even fine! You told us ya'll kissed, that can't be all that happened.

Me: That is all that happened. Trevor is not my type, he's too cocky and has too many thots at his beck and call.

Sera4yah: Whatever gurl, chat later ya'll I'm going out with my family now.

Me: imma chat later too, the fridge is calling my name and soon I'll be attending my batteries funeral.

I put my phone on the charger and headed downstairs. I warmed some food from the fridge for myself and went to the living room. Dee and Morgan, one of Jay's men were in there watching The Boondocks and drinking beers. I just sat down, ate and stared at the TV.

I felt like Jay had actually been a piece of a puzzle and now that he was gone, the puzzle was slowly being destroyed.