Chapter 17

Arthur Almendras

My heart raced as I approached my ex-girlfriend's house The frantic call from Diane, my ex, had filled me with worry. While I'm busy with the papers on my desk, I received a call from an unknown number. I ignored the first two rings but on the third one, I decided to answer. Once I hear the familiar voice from the other line, I almost ended the call. But as soon as she speaks up again, I feel like something is off. She had sounded desperate, crying uncontrollably, claiming that she needed my help. Despite our past history, I couldn't ignore her distress.

I knock on her door. Moments later, the door opened. As I entered the house, I was greeted by a disheveled and tear-stained Diane. Her appearance confused me—she seemed completely distraught, yet there was something off about her demeanor. I feel like there is something in her eyes that show devious act. My instincts whispered warnings, but my concern for her pushed them aside. Even if she betrayed me twice, I still can't deny the fact that she's one of those who gave a strong impact for me to become a better person.

"Arthur!" Diane sobbed, throwing herself into my arms. "I'm so glad you're here. I need someone to talk to. I need you. Please, just stay with me tonight," she added. I was taken aback by her action.

Uncertain of what exactly was happening, I hesitated. But the sight of Diane's apparent distress and the echoes of our past love still lingering in my heart compelled me to comfort her.

"Of course, Diane," I said softly, soothingly. "I'll stay. But what happened? Why are you so upset?"

Diane pulled away, tears streaming down her face. With a trembling voice, she began to recount a tumultuous story of betrayal and heartbreak. A part of me wants to tell her that she is just experiencing what she did to me. But, I listened attentively, my emotions riding a rollercoaster of confusion and sympathy.

"I know, I don't have the right to tell you all of this."

"I know. But as you can see, I'm here listening to everything that you're telling."

Diane smiled as tears keeps rolling down her cheeks. "I know. I know and I'm happy to have a person like you in my life."

"I'm here to listen to you," I responded.

"You know what Arthur," she said as she stared at me intently. "I regret leaving you. I shouldn't be in this situation right now if I only stayed beside you."

I shake my head in response. "Everthing happened for a reason Diane. Maybe, you left because someone is coming back into my life. Someone who can fill my life and give me contentment and real happiness," I said making her brows furrow.

"Wh- what do you m-mean?" she curiously asked.

"Isabelle and our son, Ethan came back into my life and I wanted to make them happy by staying with them and becoming a better version of myself."

Diane nodded in response and smiled. I smiled back at her and studied her every move. Throughout the evening, Diane encouraged me to drink copious amounts of wine, claiming it was to help me relax as I listened to her story. Unbeknownst to me, she had spiked the drink with a potent sedative. As the drug took effect, my mind started to fog, making it increasingly difficult to resist the pull of unconsciousness.

Struggling against the medication, I fought to maintain my senses. But Diane, ignoring my pleas to stop, continued to ply me with drink after drink until I could no longer fight the overwhelming drowsiness. "Wh-at did you -" I wasn't able to continue what I'm about to say because I felt my head aching.

The last thing I remembered before succumbing to the sedative's grip was Diane's face, her eyes cold and calculating. It was only then that I realized that I had walked willingly into a trap she prepared for me.