Chapter 13

Arthur Almendras

My heart pounded with nervous anticipation as I stood on the porch of my childhood home, my son Ethan and my ex-wife by my side. After a weeks of telling my parents about my son, I had finally gathered the courage to introduce my son to them. I decided to bring Isabelle with me since she's the one who helped me convince Ethan to meet his grandparents. I also want her to be with me for the day.

After a week and a talk with Isabelle, I finally decided to claim what is rightfully mine. I wanted to give my son a complete family and I can only do that by winning Isabelle back. I've realize that our meeting after four years is not a coincedence at all.

As the front door swung open, my mother, Carmina, stood there with a mixture of surprise and joy painted on her face. Her eyes welled up with tears as she stared down at the young boy beside me, holding my hand. "Oh my Arthur, is this my grandson? And, Isabelle, you are here," says my mother as she stared at Isabelle who is standing behind me.

I glanced at Isabelle who is now smiling at my mother. "Nice to see you ma'am," she politely greeted my mom.

"Ah, drop that formality honey. You can always call me mom since you're the mother of my grandson," says my mother.

"I'm sorry but I don't have the right to call you mom. I can just call you aunt or ma'am," she replied making me shake my head.

"Uhm, I- that's fine. I can always wait for the time that you will finally call me mom again," says my mother before diverting her attention to our son.

Ethan, clutching my hand tightly, shyly greeted back my mom. "Hello grandma."

My mom flashes a wide smile, and she knelt down to Ethan's eye level, her eyes sparkling with affection. "Hello, sweetheart. I've been waiting for this moment to come. It's wonderful to finally meet you," says my mom as she holds my son's free hand.

My son smiled and immediately hugs my mother. "Come on, let's head inside. Your grandfather might be surprised to see you," says my mom as she pulls away from my son.

My mom guided us to the living room where my father is. While we head inside, my son is holding my hand and Isabelle is just silently following us. A part of me wants to pull her and hold her hand but I know that she'll surely be mad.

When we are already at the living room, my father's expression is a mixture of surprise and joy. "Is this young man my grandson?" asks my father.

Ethan's grip tightened on my hand, but I gently reassured him. I kneeled down to level his eyes. "Ethan, this is your grandfather, he is my father. Don't worry, he is a good person," I said that made my son nod.

"Hello grandpa!" greets Ethan to my dad who is smiling widely at him.

My father crouched down and smiled warmly at Ethan. "Well, hello there, little champ. It's a pleasure to finally meet you. Your daddy here has been telling us all about you."

Both my parents showered my son with love, embracing him and making him feel welcome in their lives. My heart is swelling with gratitude and relief as I watch them. That's more than what I expected.

My parents talked to Isabelle and asked her about what happened to her for the past four years. Isabelle entertained their questions. My parents put her on a hot seat but she still survived.

We spend the whole day, talking about what happened for the past years. Isabelle talks about Ethan, telling us his favorite things to do, eat and hobbies.

My parents decided to let Isabelle stay until dinner. She even helped my mother cook while my father spends time with Ethan.

As I sat with my parents, Isabelle and Ethan around the dining table, we continued to share stories, and laughter.
Over the course of the evening, we all caught up on each other's lives, blending old memories with new experiences. My son, at first shy and uncertain, soon warmed up to his grandparents, charmed by their kind gestures and the love they radiated.