Chapter 14

Isabelle Fernandina

After having a heavy day, I can finally relax and go home. I glance at my wrist watch as I walked out of the café with some of my staffs. I immediately climbed into my car once all my staffs bids their goodbye.

Today, we've received lots of customers and I felt like my whole energy is drained. But then, seeing my staffs smiling and happy makes it satisfying.

I heaved a deep sigh and drives off the busy street. It took me almost half an hour before finally reaching our house. Mix emotions envelopes me as I parked my car infront of our house. The gate is open but it's too dark inside the house. I climbed out of my car and look around hoping to see Roger but wasn't able to see him.

I walked towards the house gate and closed it. Maybe, Roger forgot to close the gate and retired early. Once I'm done, I headed inside the house.

When I walked through the front door, my eyes widened in surprise at the sight before me. I covered my mount using my palm because of the mix feelings I have as I see the flower petals scattered on the floor. There are candles lined up, making a path towards the living room. I bit my lower lip as I followed the candles and the petals on the floor. A small smile appeared on my lips as I finally set my feet on the living room.

The soft glow of candlelight danced across the room, creating an atmosphere of warmth and love. Arthur stood at the center of it all, a hopeful smile on his face.

"Welcome home," Arthur said, his voice filled with both nerves and determination.

"Wow, what's the occasion?" I asked as I stand infront of him.

"Nothing, I just want to surprise you," he replied making me nod.

"Do you think this is too much? What would our son say?" I asked. "Betty and Roger? What would they say? Wh-where are they?" I added. 

Arthur shaked his head in response. "They're not here."

"What do you mean?"

"I asked them to leave and go somewhere else for me to have you all alone," he responded making my brows furrow.

"What do you mean, you asked them to leave? Where would they go at this time?" I asked. Worry immediately engulfed me as the thought of my son walking around somewhere he is not familiar with played in my imagination.

"They're in our place. Don't worry," he replied that took all the worries I have away from my shoulder.

"Thanks goodness. Anyway, what's this all about?"

Arthur's eyes held mine. "I wanted to apologize for everything I've done that pained you and I want to show you just how much you mean to me. You and our son."

"Arthur."

"Can we try to mend what's been broken between us?"

I didn't look away and just look directly at his eyes. I can't see anything in it aside from regret and longing. I bit my lower lip.

My eyes glistened with tears as I took in the scene before me. I don't know why I feel emotional as I stare at Arthur's eyes. I had also done some deep soul-searching for the past days since our last conversation about us. I have realized that I've been selfish and careless with my emotions, and I knew that I have to do whatever it takes to make things right.

Arthur reached out, gently taking my hands in his. "I promise Issa, I'll not be hurting you again. I want to make things right," he said.

I nodded in response. These past few days, I saw how Arthur treats all of us. He even talked to Jimson and even became friends with him. He even talked to my friend Almira and asked forgiveness from her.

These past days, I saw sincerity and willingness in him. Even my friend and my cousin told me to give him another chance. I heaved a deep sigh and intertwined our fingers that surprised him. "I believe you, Arthur. But actions speak louder than words. I need to know that this commitment is real—that you are willing to put in the work to rebuild what we had."

Arthur nodded, tears streaming down his face. "I am willing. I know it won't be easy, and it will take time, but I promise you that I am committed to making amends. I will do whatever it takes to show you that you can trust me again. I'll show you that you and my son will have a better life with me."

My heart swelled with hope and a sense of relief after hearing those words from him. I knew that this would be a long and difficult journey for the both of us, but I am willing to give Arthur another chance— not just for me but also for the sake of our son. "I want to believe that we can find our way back to each other and I hope that you'll not break your promise."

Arthur's eyes sparkled with determination as he squeezed my hands. "I will work everyday to show you how important you are and our son to me. Let's take this one step at a time and rebuild what we lost."

"I'm happy to hear that from you," I replied. As I stared at his eyes, memories of our past keeps coming back making my tears roll down my cheeks. How I wish that what is happening right now happened before we ended our marriage. We wouldn't need this kind of reconciliation and live a life with pure happiness and love.

Arthur wipe those tears using his thumb. "I thought this day will never come. A day that you'll realize how important I am to you. I thought you - you'll always choose Diane over me," I said in between sob.

"I learned my lesson Isabelle. Diane just came back to me to knock my head and make me realize that I already found the person that will fill my life."

I smiled and without even thinking, I hugged him. Moments later, I felt his hand caging me. The two of us embraced, tears mingling as we held each other tightly, finding solace in our shared determination to rebuild our relationship.

"Are you hungry?" asks Arthur when we finally pulled away from each other.

I wasn't able to respond since my stomach suddenly growled in hunger to which Arthur laughed. "Guess your stomach answered in your behalf," he responded.

"I guess so," I replied as I smiled at him.

"You're lucky since I've prepared everything for us," he said.

"You should or I'll leave and find a place to eat."

"I've prepared some of your favorite dishes."

"Really? You know all my favorites?"

Arthur nodded. "Of course, I asked Betty, Almira, Jimson and even Lander about it and they all willingly told me."

"Ah, effort. You even asked Lander. Thank you," I replied making him nod.

"Let's go to the dining room?" he asked making me nod in response. Arthur guided me to the dining room.

"Why did you choose to decorate the house instead of asking me out?" I asked as I stare at Arthur.

"Well, I know that you'll decline my offer to go out with me making me think of something that can surprise you. And seeing how you reacted, I guess, I've made a good choice," he responded to which I smiled.

The dining room is also decorated like the living room. It feels like we are at a newly opened romantic restaurant. Arthur pulled a chair for me before he did it for himself.

As we sat down at the beautifully laid-out table, I looked at Arthur with renewed sense of hope. We clinked our glasses together, a toast to the future filled with forgiveness and hope for a better life.

***Marcela_Francisca***