Board Game Intelligence

Start from the beginning

"There are those who turn their hobbies into a life long passion. I have a feeling that you will go far if you keep at it."

You smile appreciatively at him. "Thank you, Azul."

Azul grins. "In fact, why don't we work out a deal when this is all over. The Lounge could use a revamp and I'd like to have your art displayed at the Lounge."

Your eyes widen. You bring your hands to cover your mouth. "Really?"

"Why of course. I never let a brilliant opportunity pass me by."

You hug attack Azul. "I'd love to! Thank you so much, Azul!"

Azul smiles and wraps his arms around your waist. "Of course, Y/N."

Jamil lets out a groan as he leans against his bed. "Yet again, Kalim ignored my input and made an arbitrary decision. Does he have any idea how much extra work that means for me?"

Jamil growls in frustration. "Well, he's asleep now. Surely the rest of tonight should go smoothly."

A knock came from his door. Jamil looks to the door in surprise. "A visitor? At this hour?"

Jamil opens the door, surprised to see you behind it. "Oh, Y/N and..." Jamil scowls when he sees Azul and Floyd next to you.

Azul pleasantly smiles. "Good evening, Jamil."

"How's it hangin'?" Floyd grins.

Grim smirks from your arms. "Mind if we drop in?"

Jamil looks to you. You give him an apologetic smile. "Sorry to drop in on you like this."

Jamil quirks an eye suspiciously at Azul. "What do you want?"

"When Kalim gave us a tour of the treasury, we spotted a board game I've never seen before." Azul gestures to the game in Floyd's arms. "I asked Kalim to explain the rules, but it's still not quite making sense to me."

"It's this wood board with little divots, and you put gems in 'em or something?" Floyd looks to the game quizzically. "How's that work?"

"Ah, I recognize the board." Jamil folds his arms. "That's a popular game in the Land of the Scalding Sands."

Azul grins. "As a member of the Board Game Club, I'm always looking to try new games. Would you care to play a round with me?"

"Me too!" Floyd laughs. "I wanna see what you've got, Sea Snake."

"The great Grim never misses out on a competition!" Grim swipes at the air.

"Will you play with us, Jamil?" You ask sweetly.

Jamil looks into your eyes and can't find himself to say no. He sighs. "Kalim's gone to bed. I don't see why not. My dorm room doesn't have enough space for all of you, though. Let's play in the lounge."

Jade walks down one of the long hallways with Kalim. Jade puts a hand to his chest. "I'm sorry about this, Kalim. I wasn't expecting you to already be in bed for the night. This can wait until tomorrow, honest. I know it's selfish of me to ask to see the treasury again."

Kalim waves him off cheerfully. "No worries! It's totally fine! What did you want to see?"

"I was curious about the tapetries and carpets further in the back." Jade answers. "You don't see many textile handicrafts under the sea, you know. I've always been fascinated by Scalding Sands culture. After all, what could be further from the bottom of the ocean than a world of arid sands?"

Kalim's eyes light up. "Ooh! Speaking of carpets, I've got one with colors that would be a perfect fit for your dorm. It would be a shame to let it keep gathering dust in the storeroom. Why don't you take it back with you?"

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely!" Kalim opens the door leading to the treasure room. "And here we are."

The glow from all the coins and jewels reflect on the walls. The two walk into the bright, golden room.

"It's even more amazing when I study it up close." Jade gestures to a pile of silk. "Kalim, what's this lovely peacock green fabric?"

"Oh, that's woven out of silk." Kalim stands next to the twin. "Long, long ago, back when they first reformed the law stating that royalty could only marry royalty. There was a princess who wedded a common man raised in the slums. She often wore that color. It's a popular color among men and women alike in the Scalding Sands."

Jade marvels at the luxurious fabrics. "Incredible. If the mer-princess fascinated with the human realm were to see these treasures, she'd have been desperate to have them all. It can't be easy keeping track of so many luxuries."

Kalim shrugs. "I leave all the organizational stuff to Jamil. He airs them out on occasion."

"Jamil is quite the competent right-hand man, isn't he?" Jade tilts his head. "Azul was saying the same thing."

Kalim laughs. "Isn't he, though? The guy's pure amazing. It was Jamil who taught me magic and tutored me. He was a way better tutor than any of the ones my family hired. Oh, and he's a great dancer, too! Not that he does much of that around others..."

Jade takes a step closer. "If he's that competent, why doesn't he speak up to you about what you've been doing?"

Kalim looks up at him curiously. "Huh?"

"Keeping students from going home on a long holiday and forcing them into harsh training every day..." Jade frowns. "I strain to imagine you doing such a thing. So why?"

"Oh, well..." Kalim scratches the back of his neck. "It's because we really needed extra training, I guess?"

Jade quirks an eye. "You guess? It was your decision, wasn't it?"

"Yes. It definitely was, but..." Kalim looks to the ground. "I've been... spacing out a lot lately."

"Why is that?"

Kalim shrugs. "Jamil says it's probably fatigue from me becoming housewarden as a sophomore."

Jade tilts his head. "Come again?"

"I've always had this habit of nodding off when I start working my brain too hard. My tutors and Jamil were always on my case about it."

"What are you finding difficult at present?" Jade asks.

"Our loss in the interdorms, our bad grades in the exams... My responsibility... Remedial measures... When I dwell on those, I end up just spacing out." Kalim laughs sadly. "I'm a pretty lousy housewarden, huh?"

"Wasn't it your decision to keep the students over the holidays for special training?" Jade asks again.

"I, um... I think it was."

Jade brings a hand to his chin in thought. "Another noncommittal answer." He thinks to himself. "Hmm..."

Jade covers his eye and bends over as if in pain. "Ow!"

"What's wrong?" Kalim asks worriedly.

"Sorry, I think I got a speck of something in my eye. Could you take a look at it for me?"

"Are you all right? Here, let me see."

Jade pulls his hand away, a flash of light swirls around his eyes. "Shock the Heart."

Kalim freezes.

Jade smiles and stands straight. "I'm going to ask you some questions, and you will answer them honestly."