Chapter 1

This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, incidents and businesses are the product of the writers' imagination and are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual person, any book that has been published, business, or incident is purely coincidental and is not intended by the writer.

All rights reserved. Plagiarism is a crime. Any copy or part of this story should not be reproduce in any form without the writer's permission.

NOTE: Lighthearted Story

Isabelle Fernandina

I sat in the lawyer's office, my hands trembling as I stared at the divorce papers laid out before me. This is it. I'll finally be giving him what he wants. It had been two years of heartache, uncertainty, and battling with my own emotions. But now, finally, I am ready to let go of the man who had broken my heart into pieces.

The memories flooded back as I recalled the day I had first met Arthur. It was during the hardest time in Arthur's life. It was when he was broken that we both had found a young and full of hope love with each other. Our love blossoming like the first buds of spring. We had promised each other forever, vowing to support each other's dreams no matter the cost. But somewhere along the way, our paths had diverged. I don't know where it all started. We just woke up and everything is going downhill.

Arthur's career was good as ever, always on top of his game and the best in everything while I had been left feeling like merely a passenger on his journey. Late-night meetings, missed special occasions and canceled plans had slowly chipped away at our bond. Lies comes in between us. Silence, coldness and arrogance as his ultimate weapon to push me away. Then, the truth had emerged - Arthur had never let go of his ex-girlfriend, Diane, the woman who had left him years ago because she had chosen her career over him. The reason why he was broken. The reason why he agreed to an arranged marriage and why we have had a chance to become husband and wife.

Time is the ultimate truth teller, indeed. I also discovered that he just agreed to marry me to take what he wanted. He showed me fake love and used my weakness to have what he dreamed for. That made me realize the fact that human heart is truly the most traitorous and dangerous enemy in the world.

I had been devastated, feeling betrayed and insignificant in comparison to Diane. The thought of Arthur continuing to see his first love behind my back had been the final blow, shattering the trust that remained. It was in that moment that I knew I needed to set myself free from this toxic relationship.

Taking a deep breath, I picked up the pen, my hands steadying as I prepared to sign the papers. This was my chance at a fresh start, a chance to reclaim my happiness and rebuild my life on my terms. I'm done struggling on how to meet his standards. I've loved him and I thought we have the same feelings. In the end, I'm just the only one who is making things work. For him, everything was just part of the show that he had been directing.

As I placed the pen against the dotted line, a wave of emotions washed over me. The sadness of saying goodbye to the dreams we had once shared, the anger at the betrayal, and the hope for a brighter future all collided within me. I feel like I'll be exploding once I don't sign the paper and leave the place.

With each stroke of the pen, I could feel the weight of the past lifting from my shoulders. The ink formed my signature, a symbol of finality and the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I released a heavy sigh, feeling a sense of relief and empowerment fill me. The same feeling that made me think of why I didn't do it before everything happened under my nose.

As I handed the signed papers to my lawyer, I whispered a silent goodbye to the life I once imagined. It wasn't easy, but deep down, I knew I deserved better. I deserved a love that was honest, supportive, and unwavering. I know that fact and that I will pursue. It may be hard for me but I'll surely find and have the happiness that I deserve.