73

"Now I've warned my mom not to sing to you but I can't promise anything else," I told her. "She was very excited when I left the house this morning."

She looked a little nervous and I hated that. Birthdays were supposed to be exciting and she should want to be showered with attention and gifts rather than shy away from it all. I was used to birthdays being a big thing in my family, and my parents always made sure to go the extra mile for me and Alex so we didn't feel like we were only getting half a birthday. And when Jay started spending a lot of time with us, they began to make the same effort for him, throwing him parties and making him a cake every year. I knew that the treatment had now extended to Rose.

"I really don't want them to go to any trouble. I don't really like making a fuss on my birthday," she muttered, eyes fixed on her hands in her lap. "It just feels a little selfish, you know?"

I rolled my eyes. Of course she saw it that way. A part of me really wanted to meet her parents, or at least her mother, because it felt like the right next step, especially considering we were official. However, I wasn't sure it was a good idea. I wouldn't be able to keep my opinions to myself.

"There is nothing selfish about celebrating your birthday. It's the one day a year that's all about you and you deserve to enjoy it." I merged onto the freeway and turned towards her. "If you really don't want to celebrate, I can take you home. I don't want you feeling uncomfortable."

She shook her head. "No, that's okay, I appreciate your mom putting in the effort. I just feel bad, she really didn't have to."

"Have to?" I scoffed. "Nobody was talking her out of this. Believe me, she doesn't feel like it's an obligation, she was desperate to do something nice for you."

Blush rose to her cheeks and she didn't say anything back. But she didn't need to. I pulled up to the apartment complex and input the code that had the gates swinging open. Rose shuffled nervously in her seat as I rolled the car down the gravel driveway and pulled up beside Alex's car. I tried to hide my grin when I slid from my seat and noticed the pink sparkly banner tacked to the front door.

I rounded the car and opened the door for Rose. When she slipped her hand into mine, it was a little clammy, and I squeezed it reassuringly. I led her to the door and her eyes widened when she spotted the banner on the door. "Oh god."

"I warned you," I teased.

She jabbed her elbow into my rib before stepping through the door.

"You're here!" A squeal sounded from the kitchen before my mother came bulldozing into the foyer. "Happy birthday, sweetheart!" She crashed into Rose and I had to reach out and grab onto her to hold her steady. "I'm so glad you could come!"

Rose let out a shaky laugh. "Thank you."

"Come on in," mom ushered, pulling away and allowing Rose to breathe again. She started towards the kitchen and as soon as I stepped away from her scented candle in the foyer, the smell of food cooking made my stomach growl. "Come inside, Matt will get you something to drink. What would you like? I picked up a bottle of champagne earlier for you if you'd like a glass. It is your birthday after all."

Rose faltered and turned to stare at me with wide, pleading eyes. I cleared my throat. "Mom, Rose doesn't drink. And let her get in the door before you smother her."

"I'm not smothering her!" she protested, lower lip stuck out in a pout. "I'm just excited about her birthday." She twisted back to Rose. "Sorry sweetie, come on in and tell me all about your day."

Rose laughed a little lighter this time. "It's not been much different to any other day, just school."

"Well, what did you get for your birthday? What did your parents get you?"